£30K job or stay on the dole? :rant:

My mate was going to apply for a job he could easily get. It was with a county council in a field he was interested in. He's a bright guy - PhD from Cambridge in a science subject.

I saw him the other day and asked if he got the job.

He said he hadn't bothered applying as with the £30K a year salary he'd only be a few hundred quid a month better of than he is on the dole.

Makes me wonder why I'm sitting here working? :rant:

My mate was going to apply for a job he could easily get. It was with a county council in a field he was interested in. He's a bright guy - PhD from Cambridge in a science subject.

I saw him the other day and asked if he got the job.

He said he hadn't bothered applying as with the £30K a year salary he'd only be a few hundred quid a month better of than he is on the dole.

Makes me wonder why I'm sitting here working? :rant:

i know. work our asses off for these lazy ****ers to spend our taxes in the pub. go round and punch him in the mouth and apply for the job for him. when he doesnt turn up for work inform the dole office and get his money stopped!

I'm currently unemployed and going on dole is last possible resort.

its about pride, iv applied for all sorts for the short term, just wanna be earning money not sat on my arse getting handouts

thats the point you are at least trying. by the sounds of it this guy is like a friend of mine. really boils my piss when he gets a flat rent free money and help with the bills. when i work my ass off paying ridiculous rent and bills and i cant even get on the property ladder

Guest vigilante

that makes me sick!! a few of my (now non-)student friends are on the dole, pisses me off as they are off travelling half the time and living rent free, with bills paid etc!

i am on around 21-22k and get half of it taken from me by the ****ing taxman!!!

?!?? Utterly speechless.

For the sake of being a "FEW hundred quid" a month better off I'd probably *change* jobs never mind get a job having been unemployed. No offence, but is he completely mad or something? Seriously, read the following and see if it doesn't sound even more insane the further you go down the list:

"I can't be bothered applying as I'll only be £100 per month better off."

"I can't be bothered applying as I'll only be £200 per month better off."

"I can't be bothered applying as I'll only be £300 per month better off."

"I can't be bothered applying as I'll only be £400 per month better off."

"I can't be bothered applying as I'll only be £500 per month better off."

I'm sure you all get the idea. Unreal. I think I need to go for a lie down after reading that.

Tell me, have you burned the soles of his feet with a hot crack pipe yet?

Unfortunately it makes all too much sense.

I'd happily swop with him - chuck in my job and get what he gets for nothing.

The problem's not him, it's our government dishing out money to idle feckers.

Did you know we spend more on social security than: health, education and defence put together?

I'd stop all their giros.

ahh but think of all the extra tax he'll pay once he's a 40% tax payer after holding out for that higher paying job :D

I don't think he's planning to get a job.

Also, his higher education has cost the state an enormous amount:

Two years A-levels

Three years BSc

One years MSc

Three years (I think) PhD

That must be £90K odds worth of tax payers money.