Got my car back but...

Picked up my car today having not seen her since Japfest :D

Great to drive her again although taking it a bit easy on the new tubs. Boost controller not set up yet.

Unfortunately she failed her MOT on a pretty serious rear subframe rust issue :( Going to get it looked at next week and hopefully get it sorted asap! Maybe then I'll be able to get to some of these South East meets I've been hearing about ;)

Just nice having her back home again :cool:

CheerZ

Steve :)

Thanks guys :) Going to get under there today and take a proper look.

Hope she's all sorted soon Steve- I don't think I've ever actually seen your Zed! :rofl:

LOL - Reading meet, 12 January 2006 :tongue: I can't believe you've forgotten :D

Thanks guys :) Going to get under there today and take a proper look.

Deffo mate, I think with yours being a UK spec as well, you often see the rear sills section rust away and if left untreated it moves inward under the rear suspension unit and into the rear floor pan. Worth removing rear seat and pulling the carpet back to check for any signs. Have seen a couple of cars at Zedworld where the rust had travelled across rear floor pan so much, they were scrapped :eek:

Just done both sides of mine, all rear sections cut away ( 4 each side) and replaced with new ones to right under suspension and approx 3ins into floor.

Biggest culprit was the drain for rear targas, it has a small piece of steel attached to the end of the rubber hose, these easily rot away, so replaced mine with S/S at the same time. Now shes rust free anywhere around there and good for years to come :dance:

cheers

smithy

Deffo mate, I think with yours being a UK spec as well, you often see the rear sills section rust away and if left untreated it moves inward under the rear suspension unit and into the rear floor pan. Worth removing rear seat and pulling the carpet back to check for any signs. Have seen a couple of cars at Zedworld where the rust had travelled across rear floor pan so much, they were scrapped :eek:

Just done both sides of mine, all rear sections cut away ( 4 each side) and replaced with new ones to right under suspension and approx 3ins into floor.

Biggest culprit was the drain for rear targas, it has a small piece of steel attached to the end of the rubber hose, these easily rot away, so replaced mine with S/S at the same time. Now shes rust free anywhere around there and good for years to come :dance:

cheers

smithy

Cheers Paul :bow: Fooks me right off though because I almost never drive her in the wet and she's been tucked up in the garage for the last 10 years :rolleyes:

Will take a couple of pics and post up what I find...

CheerZ

Right, I've been under the car and taken some pics.

MOT failure sheet states: Nearside rear subframe mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded [2.4.A.2]

Here's the mounting point...

attachment.php?attachmentid=25277&stc=1

Here's the worst part of the sill.. (the hole wasn't there until I started having a prod - it's fooked :rolleyes: )

attachment.php?attachmentid=25278&stc=1

Here's the distance between them...

attachment.php?attachmentid=25279&stc=1

And finally this is the rest of the sill moving towards the front of the car...

attachment.php?attachmentid=25280&stc=1

The area around the mounting has only a very small amount of surface rust and seems solid. The sill itself is obviously fooked. I want to do a proper job of sorting this before my side skirts are fitted.

Is this similar to the problem you had Smithy? What sort of job (difficulty/expense) was it to get sorted and are there any replacement parts required?

Any input on this is really appreciated... :bow:

CheerZ

Steve :(

I just had to get my rear sill re-welded to pass the mot its an unfortunate issue with these cars as they age. If you speak with jeff at zed world he can supply a patch panel that can be welded in place of your exisiting sill so that would solve the issue and give youa bullet proof sill for years to come. I went that route and found someone that would re-spray and weld it in at a weekend cash in hand.