Feck!!! Brake master cylinder!

Well my car has gone in for some bigger discs yesterday and was due to pick the car up today but my mechanic says when he presses the brake pedal it goes striaght to the floor!!!! :rant:

He's tried bleeding the brakes but not much is happening... He thinks the Brake master cylinder as probably gone or got a problem with it i.e the seals or something have seized in vaccume or need turning the other way...

Gotta wait till monday now to find out if it can be fixed... It was working when I took it in there!!! Any idea on here I could throgh at him would be much appreciated or if anyone has got a spare brake master cylinder floating around I can pruchase off them!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If he's just been fitting discs then the brakes wont need bleeding as they wont have been touched. BMC as you say sounds the most likely? Its a bit odd though??

Maybe take him a copy of the workshop manual brake chapter?

Been there

seen it

done it

Keep bleeding....

These zeds take forever to clear :(

Yup, if he opened the bleed valves to pry the calipers open, then he will need to rebleed and it can take forever. You also need to start the car between the bleeds to get the Brakebooster bled as well.

Guest DaveMan

A very common mistake is to pry the pads back to remove them WITHOUT releasing the bleed valve and this pushes fluid back into the master cyliner and can flip the seals around the wrong way and cause this very problem, the seals were most likely worn anyway to flip back, the rebuild kit from Nissan is very comprehensive and includes new seals, pistons, springs and clips to complete the job, around the £50 mark for the kit, a new master cylinder is more like £170!!!!

Daveman.

Problem sorted!!! Managed to get my Z back to day all working again... Nothing to major, just air got into the system so they re blead the entire system using some vaccume tool to drain every last drop out then put in the new fluid and problem sorted!! On gotta lightly tough my brake pedal now and i've got awesome stopping power... Makes a difference having slightly bigger brakes and also makes me realise how bad my discs we're before!