oil smoke?

Guest Jimbob300zx

Guest Jimbob300zx

oil smoke i think is bellowing from behind the drivers side of the engine.

someone mentioned it could be the cam sensor? or something?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

They are a plenum off job, you take off the plenum and all the gubbins that goes with it. Then take off the rocker covers. I can't remember very clearly what else you'd do at the same time, but certainly the rocker cover gaskets. I'd also replace all the little hoses while you are at it. The turbo coolant hoses down the back of the engine which you can probably reach a bit better then also. I'd need to look at the workshop manual to remember all the other bits to replace while you are there, but you should definately do them if this is the problem.

edit - I'll have a look and get back to you as I can't remember if the rocker covers get you to the cam seals or not.

Here you go:

http://300zx.co.uk/cgi-bin/manual.cgi?list=em&dir=&config=&refresh=&slide=26&cycle=off&scale=0&design=default&total=70

You can see the rubber bung at the back of the cam shaft area. You should also do the rocker gasket. I'd strongly recommend doing as many of the hoses around the plenum and rear of the engine as possible while you are there as it takes many hours to get the plenum off, and you'll knacker lots of tubes and things. If you havn't changed them then your pcv valve pipes will crack (might as well change pcv's?? as well). Basically do some homework and try to change everything that could need doing as pulling it apart will guarantee problems if you re-use old hoses and stuff.

I did it myself on my first zed, there's nothing particuarly complicated. There's just lots of little bits to remember, and there's also lots of bits that can break as you take them apart (inject./coil connectors, all the hoses, and bits like that). Its quite an involved and frustrating job to do, lots of awkward bolts and hoses to get at as usual with the zed. If you rely on the car for work then maybe get a pro to do it, but if you can leave it in the garage whilst you buy new hoses and things then I'd do it myself. If you fancy doing your own work and have all the tools then its a good place to start as you get to know the engine bay layout a bit.

You'll lose more oil and it'll smoke more when it falls on to the turbo pipes (assuming that is the problem). You could do a temporary fix with some liquid gasket type stuff on the outside, but its not that good. You see lots of old zeds where someone has done this as a quick fix.

Guest Jimbob300zx

would the smoke also be a cause of me overfilling the oil? seems to be above the normal depth when i checked on the dipstick!

could i get that stuff from halfords?

If you've over filled with oil then the pressure will be high inside the engine and it will push oil out of any dodgy seals. Its quite common for the rear crank seal to go because of this (gearbox off to fix :( ) If you are overfull by a lot then I'd drain a little out, if its just a little then you'll prob be fine.

I'm not sure of the best stuff to do a bodge fix with, I think it would have to be something a bit more substantial than liquid gasket. Maybe the window sealant stuff that people do the engine sumps with? Best to ask one of the traders maybe, as I'm not an expert and just guessing at what might work. Either way it will be a bit of a bodge fix, but at least you don't have to spend all day dismantelling the engine. I'd get it done properly as soon as you can though.

Guest Jimbob300zx

yeah, might try that window sealant stuff! but gotta find out exactly where the cam seals are on the engine as i haven't got a clue!

when the oil is leaking, it's too hot to get that close to the engine!

cheers mate.

Guest Jimbob300zx

happening again today. royal, i'll defo give you a shout later!

it carries on for like 5-10 mins after i've stopped the car.

No worries mate! I'd have a chat with a couple of the traders as well though, they are all normally happy to give advice. I'm no expert I've just got keyboard-warrior-itis and can't stop talking sh*te! Problems like yours on a zed can be never ending unless you do a proper fix.

Guest Jimbob300zx

Just to make sure, whilst i'm undertaking the plenum removal, this is where the smoke is coming from (sorry about the gay drawing, just needed to make it obvious!)

is anyone else certain it's the cam seals? it's definately oil smoke, quite faint but stinks! and continues for about 5-8 mins after stopping the engine (even on a mild run, not even boosting it smokes!)

cheers,

Jim.

• 1 year later...