Data Scan Idiots Guide

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok when trying to install the driver for the cable keep the cable connected and let windows connect to the net to find the driver, once that is done make sure you are using the right port in data scan by checking the port the cable is using in hardware manager in windows and changeing it if needed in datascan

:headvswal ffs what do I need to do to get this to work.....still aint working. I downloaded the software and installed it....still the same.

I think i'll try and hook up my mobile to the laptop to get internet access in the morning. Surely there has to be an easier way than this.

Cheers John Crisp

Legrath, I have installed that driver already. With regards to ports, whats involved in asigning it? When I go to START, CONTROL PANEL, SYSTEM, HARDWARE, DEVICE MANAGER, PORTS, should I see the driver as I dont? Its asigned to PORT 1 just now, is this wrong. Cheers.

Retro I love messing about with pc's and in the end we get there by hook or by crook.Cheers for the help mate.

Cheers John Crisp

Legrath, I have installed that driver already. With regards to ports, whats involved in asigning it? When I go to START, CONTROL PANEL, SYSTEM, HARDWARE, DEVICE MANAGER, PORTS, should I see the driver as I dont? Its asigned to PORT 1 just now, is this wrong. Cheers.

Retro I love messing about with pc's and in the end we get there by hook or by crook.Cheers for the help mate.

Cheers John Crisp

The simplest/less techinical way would be trial and error....

In Datascan - Settings > Communication (or press F5) , and select a different port number, and try and connect....until you find correct port.

or use Device manager to work out which usb port it is plugged into (unplug and replug in again to see which appears and dissapears)

I tried doing what legrath said but i couldnt get it to connect mate, the only way i could get it to recognise the cable was to connect it and get the damn windows system to choose it for me.

John, plug your cable into your computer that has internet connection and let windows find the driver and then copy the files to your laptop

Cheers Legrath, can I try and connect without being connected to the car so at least I can see if its trying to connect, and should the software recognise the cable connected again without being connected to the car.

It wont do anything without being connected to the car.

What Retro has said about drivers could be correct....some have had problems, although try changing the ports first.

Okies, port 4 doesnt throw up a port error like the others do but it still wont connect. When I click on conect nothing happens , I dont even get an egg timer to say its happening or trying to connect. The other thing is that I have datascan installed on my main pc, it wont find the cable, all that happens is my pc freezes.

Sat night ffs and I am messing about with this....all because my car is up and running again....its like having a new toy.

Cheers guys