Fitting a new TPS...

Guest Zed-X

Can anyone advise me on how to fit a new TPS. Positioning etc. Do I put it in exactly the same place as the old one? Or is there a technique to it.

Cheers..

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

haha... I started reading this and thought, sh1t, I've got the wrong thing here?!?

Cheers anyway geeza...

undo 4 bolts, unplug it, plug the new one in do 4 bolts up.

You can relocate it to a cooler part of the engine if you like but there is no point if your fitting a series 2.

as vijay said mate on that link . unscrew old one put new one on dont tighten screws up too much untill u have tilted it till it reads .44v or .45v then tighten and hey presto.

(A) To do it correctly you'd be best of buying a ConZult - makes setting the TPS (and many other things) childs play!

(B) 0.44v or 0.45v may not be correct for your particular engine setup. For example, my TPS is set at 0.42v. The most important thing here is that the range is adequate, ie 0.42v at idle - 3.95v at wide open throttle. If using a voltmeter to set the tps make sure you're measuring from the correct wires (I can't off the top of my head remember which ones they are on the connector). Turn the tps until the idle goes up by about 200rpm. Now turn the tps the other way (slightly) until you the revs drop again. Hold it there and do up the two bolts. Check with the multimeter what the voltage is.

© Very important. After the TPS has been set to the correct voltage, the TPS connector has to be disconnected and ignition has to be turned on for a short while (but don't run the engine). This will clear the TPS selflearn levels in the ECU.

(D) You may also want to make sure the base idle is set correctly otherwise by resetting the tps you'll only be masking various symptoms/problems. To reset the base idle, again - get a ConZult! Otherwise, disconnect the idle valve from the ECU and manually set the idle (using the idle adjustment screw) to the correct base idle setting (= roughly 750rpm for a TT). If you require a more detailed description of how to do this I suggest you do a search on this forum as this is something which crops up every now and then and should be well documented.

Good luck! And if you want a ConZult give me a shout! ;)

Dan

(A) To do it correctly you'd be best of buying a ConZult - makes setting the TPS (and many other things) childs play!

(B) 0.44v or 0.45v may not be correct for your particular engine setup. For example, my TPS is set at 0.42v. The most important thing here is that the range is adequate, ie 0.42v at idle - 3.95v at wide open throttle. If using a voltmeter to set the tps make sure you're measuring from the correct wires (I can't off the top of my head remember which ones they are on the connector). Turn the tps until the idle goes up by about 200rpm. Now turn the tps the other way (slightly) until you the revs drop again. Hold it there and do up the two bolts. Check with the multimeter what the voltage is.

© Very important. After the TPS has been set to the correct voltage, the TPS connector has to be disconnected and ignition has to be turned on for a short while (but don't run the engine). This will clear the TPS selflearn levels in the ECU.

(D) You may also want to make sure the base idle is set correctly otherwise by resetting the tps you'll only be masking various symptoms/problems. To reset the base idle, again - get a ConZult! Otherwise, disconnect the idle valve from the ECU and manually set the idle (using the idle adjustment screw) to the correct base idle setting (= roughly 750rpm for a TT). If you require a more detailed description of how to do this I suggest you do a search on this forum as this is something which crops up every now and then and should be well documented.

Dan

Hi Danny,

It's Bart from WorldPay in Cambridge (I got an induction kit from you a while back) Cheers for the advice mate. It has been giving me grief for ages. gears shifting late from time to time. Idle up and down. Figured it's time to get a new one. I've been looking at the 'shift at will' manual gear shifting system for auto's. Want to get the thing running right first. Have you heard anything about these systems. Any good reports?

Cheers, Bart..

Dan

hey danny did you ever sell double glazing in your past :D :D its worth buying conzult just for posts as imformative as that one mate :bow:

hey danny did you ever sell double glazing in your past :D :D its worth buying conzult just for posts as imformative as that one mate :bow:

;) LOL! Never sold double glazing but have been a new business development director for AT&T selling multi-million dollar contracts around the globe!

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know everything about these cars but I often see "incorrect" technical information posted and passed on as fact so it's worth to once in a while post something I do know something about! ;)

Hi Danny,

It's Bart from WorldPay in Cambridge (I got an induction kit from you a while back) Cheers for the advice mate. It has been giving me grief for ages. gears shifting late from time to time. Idle up and down. Figured it's time to get a new one. I've been looking at the 'shift at will' manual gear shifting system for auto's. Want to get the thing running right first. Have you heard anything about these systems. Any good reports?

Cheers, Bart..

Hi Bart! If the autobox is shifting late you may also want to check the speed sensor (located on the gearbox). Find a known good one and swap it over - see what happens. Also, make sure your autobox fluid level is correct as incorrect level can also cause silly shift points. As for the Shift at Will product, I've heard very good reports about the 2nd generation equipment/software. According to my colleague at DTA (Netherlands) our DTA demo ZX was fastest in many trial runs in The Netherlands until the guys who developed the shift at will equipment showed up with their demo ZX! I am also thinking about getting this system fitted but at the moment it is just too much money ...

All the best,

Dan

;) LOL! Never sold double glazing but have been a new business development director for AT&T selling multi-million dollar contracts around the globe!

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know everything about these cars but I often see "incorrect" technical information posted and passed on as fact so it's worth to once in a while post something I do know something about! ;)

Hi Bart! If the autobox is shifting late you may also want to check the speed sensor (located on the gearbox). Find a known good one and swap it over - see what happens. Also, make sure your autobox fluid level is correct as incorrect level can also cause silly shift points. As for the Shift at Will product, I've heard very good reports about the 2nd generation equipment/software. According to my colleague at DTA (Netherlands) our DTA demo ZX was fastest in many trial runs in The Netherlands until the guys who developed the shift at will equipment showed up with their demo ZX! I am also thinking about getting this system fitted but at the moment it is just too much money ...

All the best,

Dan

i recently had the auto box rebuilt and the guys checked it over and pointed to the TPS. The oil level is good. I messed arround with the TPS before and it was fine. It's playing up again, so thought it's time to sort it. Cheers for the advice, and yes the shift at will is on the dear side, but much cheaper than a manual conversion. Do you think it would be cool on na standard autobox, I think it probably would. Also PM me if you've got any deals on BOV's as I'm looking for some..

Cheers, Bart..