engine managment systems

Guest russ

What ones are on the market and what are the pro's and cons of them

DTA,AEM, and Link?

if you could keep the expalnations as simple as possible, as I have the knowledge of a whelk when it comes to these things :(

thanks in advance

Russ

also

F-Con

Omex

haltech

and a few that can be made to fit

I think i am going to go for the AEM because looking at the spec its a gems based ecu and does everything it needs to do and can be mapped my any decents gems mapper which theres loads of them

most are gonna do pretty similar things really. the main thing you need to know is whether the co your gonna use to map it has experience with the system you choose!!

a system that ditches the AFM in favour of a MAP sensor is a must really - most of the systems out there should give you this option. the Link system comes with a 1.5bar sensor built in with the option of upgrading to a higher spec one.

it would be a huge job to fit one to the Z. and setting it up would be a nightmare. unless they can do a plug and play kit that fits the standard ecu socket but i doubt it. they certainly didnt do one when i bought mine. its got loads of good features and plugs straight into the PC, mapping software is simple to use but you have to know what your doing. it also gives you data logging, and wideband and narrow band O2 for closed loop control and for setting up the AF. the instructions are very good but its still a BIG job on the Z

most of the ones said are plug and play, just reading about the link and it sounds very veyr similar to the f-con ie piggyback so i wont be going for one of them as i want a faster ecu that replaces the OEM one.

I think when it comes to the ECU all of the above will do pretty much everything you need it to but for me it comes down to mapping, where, how good etc etc from looking at the link website its only thor that can do it, the hks is limited to hks writer dealers like abbey motors, the aem can be mapped by any gems mapper.

I think alot of people also get hung up on all the extras the ecu can do!! anti lag, launch control, extra injectors etc etc tbh i wont use most of the features, i just want a good stand alone, reliable, easy to map at a reasonable price ECU

Mike

its ok getting something like the wolf one but where do you go for support or top notch mapping?? thats why i would rather spend a little more and know what i'm getting!! not knocking any ECU's but if your modifying your car it becomes the most important part of the car!! IMHO

Mike

any one who dynos cars should be able to do it. its just a map. fueling is still in mS or % of duty cycle and ignition is just advance retard in deg

well if you believe that then why doesnt everyone tune and map their own cars, mapping is a pros job and doing it yourself will only lead to problems, more so if the car is highly tuned

i suppose that OK to do basic maps, dont get me wrong i understand about mapping ie fuel, air, timing etc and would love to have a go but bottom line is my car wont be running on a basic map so i would rather have some one who is used to mapping high power cars

One thing to remember with going down the MAP based route is that it will require re-mapping for all small changes you make, unlike a MAF based system which will compensate to some degree. It's the right way to go, just a bit more hassle.

I'm going for the emerald system on mine with the V8, and was going to make up a conversion harness to fit it onto the VG using the standard loom if anyone wants to try it. For my cash it's about the best system out there for the money, and the software is also excellent to use.

despite the wolf3D having an inbuilt MAP sensore it can also run an external MAP and or a MAF.

plus it does boost control and has loads of aux inputs/outputs so for instance you could have an external knock unit feeding in to an aux and switching to a low boost setting or a totally different map from the cartrige. it controls PWM AAV's for idle control altough the V4+ can do stepper motor control as well.