Speedo issue

RobHowl

Question

Hi all,

Was out in the car last week and my speedo stopped working. Not the whole cluster, purely the speedo. Everything else is working well.

This then caused my steering to be heavy and HICAS light to come on, which I’ve been told happens when the speedo dies.

Whats the likely problem here would you think? I would argue not the cluster itself but maybe a speed sensor?

#1. 1993 Twin Turbo Manual LWB in black (2022 - )

14 answers to this question

Is it an import with a MPH conversion? There could be an issue with the wiring to the converter or the converter board has an issue. Failing that, it could well be a dry solder on the cluster circuitry. If they all check out good then the speed sensor or wiring will be suspect.

Here’s a handy Zedworld post to help you troubleshoot the issue and break the system down:

https://www.300zx-owners.club/forums/topic/151833-speedo-not-working/?do=findComment&comment=1642081

• Like 1

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yes it’s an import with a MPH conversion.

Thanks Joel, I’ll have a look at that. I don’t think it’s the dash as it’s only the speedo that’s dropped out and it’s not lethargic it works every now and then. It’s totally gone. With my previous Nissans, I’ve always found that speedo goes but is intermittent due to the solders

5 minutes ago, JaiKai said:

Its just a small box of tricks that you hook up behind the clocks.

It intercepts the speed signal and changes it to MPH.

Evo Speedo Converter

Is this specific to our cars? I assume not.

And would I need to change the dials to mph ones? I assume yes.

Thanks!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Ride

Job for next week then. Set the car up on axle standards, strip the dash board back and do some investigating! I have a multimeter but certainly need all these guides to help me!!

Are those converters just plug and play then? I assume thats how mine has been changed.

Also, what's the consult plug? I see that could be a problem causing the misread too.

So the speed sensor seems to be working fine. Got it out, stuck it on a multimeter and drill and got a reading from it.

I thought I had correctly tested the dashboard but I’m no expert with a multimeter to so quite plausible I messed that up. It has one of the converters in there too. Is it easy to fully remove the clocks? I had them out of the mount but still connected when I was testing them last week

Sounds like you tested a hoover 🤣

Membership No 0780

INSURANCE GOOFA

Datascan, Conzult, ECUTalk and a few others

I have all the rare bits you can't find :tongue::tongue: