Relocated to Ireland with family and Z

Hi all,

New here. I recently moved back to Ireland with my family and shipped over my '90 Z as well. 

Have owned it for over 20+ years and just couldn't part with it. It finally arrived after several weeks of travel.

I'm hoping to get a grasp of what I need to get done and in what order so I can take this thing on the road. 

First, I know I have to sort out VRT as soon as I get some papers in the post. 

However, I understand that it will need to have an NCT, and get insurance. 

So several questions,

Any recommendations for classic car insurance here for Dublin county? Clean driving record, car won't be driven much except for a treat every now and again. 

NCT:

I need to order some parts I know it would fail on, ebrake shoes and cables, tyres, and a few other bits. Is there any way to drive it to a mechanics to get some work done, like a temp tag/permit, or will it need to be towed?

How does NCT adjust for older (1990) vehicles and emissions? 

I have read online in a few places that once you have a NCT appointment booked, it would be at the guarda's discretion to penalize if stopped on the road without a current NCT. That being said, having never had an NCT I'm guessing it wouldn't be worth the risk, and will just have to wait however long for an appointment. 

Are there any recommended online places on this side of the Atlantic for Z parts? I usually have ordered from czp and z1 in the past. 

Last but not least, does anyone have any mechanics they would recommend in the south Dublin area that don't break the bank? I know these cars are a pain to work on, and I would normally do maintenance myself but the ground it is on isn't a flat surface so that isn't an option for now. 

Thanks in advance. 

Btw, there are some exceptional looking Z being posted here!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gaz 300 said:

One for the Irish owners. I live in the North so none of this makes sense to me.

Yup - sorry mate, I have no idea on the Irish system either...... And as for ordering parts, you still can't go wrong with czp or Z1, wherever you live 😉 

I have something to say............ It's better to burn out than to fade away..... :tt2:

• 4 months later...

Hey guys!

I currently live in the US, and we're working on a long term move to Ireland. My dream car has been with me for 10 years now, and I think I REALLY want to bring it with me. It's a 1991 Straman convertible 2+2 300zx.

I'd LOVE to know how it went with you, cdn300zx! I have no reference for the things I'll have to do to get my Z on the Irish roads, and it'll be a HUGE help to hear your story! You can message me directly if you'd like to!

If anyone else has more insight as well, please let me have it! I'm hoping that I'll be getting ready to meet up with you guys over there in a little more than a year! Thanks so much!

On 09/04/2024 at 16:06, Perkyshadow said:

Hey guys!

I currently live in the US, and we're working on a long term move to Ireland. My dream car has been with me for 10 years now, and I think I REALLY want to bring it with me. It's a 1991 Straman convertible 2+2 300zx.

I'd LOVE to know how it went with you, cdn300zx! I have no reference for the things I'll have to do to get my Z on the Irish roads, and it'll be a HUGE help to hear your story! You can message me directly if you'd like to!

If anyone else has more insight as well, please let me have it! I'm hoping that I'll be getting ready to meet up with you guys over there in a little more than a year! Thanks so much!

Wow, you certainly won’t be able to find another one of them when you get to Ireland! How many of those did they make? Do share some pics please 😊

Not sure what Trish username is in case someone could tag her maybe?  She'll know this stuff

Membership No 0780

INSURANCE GOOFA

Datascan, Conzult, ECUTalk and a few others

I have all the rare bits you can't find :tongue::tongue: