Turbo timer install

MattE

Question

Looking to install a turbo timer once I finalize the purchase of my 300zx, wondering if anyone has any recommendations on which to fit as I have seen a few around. Is this something anyone has fit before and got any tips when I come to install it? Any recommendations would be appreciated

11 answers to this question

Might be harder to find now but when I was looking, HKS Type 1 seemed the best. You can feed it your tachometer signal and it can auto determine how long to leave it idling based on your driving prior to turning it off.

Beware the many fakes of these. They also do a Type 0 which acts like all the other basic turbo timers.

Many will argue the need for one but that's ultimately up to you! The only reason I never added one was due to me fitting a secret kill switch for security which took priority over the gadget.

Edited by Peage
  • Like 1

On 22/02/2023 at 15:29, Peage said:

Personally I just make sure I drive easy for a little bit before parking up. That'll be plenty sufficient to cool the turbos.

Yes, and you cant get fined for leaving your car running unattended.

Mine came with a timer fitted when it was imported. I havent removed it, but I dont really use it either

1990 Black MT NA LWB = 2014 - 2020 (Sold)

1991 Red MT TT LWB = 2015 - 2017 (Stripped & Scrapped)

1991 Red MT TT LWB = 2017 - 2021 (Sold)

1991 Black MT TT LWB = 2018 - 2021 (Sold)

1989 Red AT TT LWB = 2021 - XXXX (Kept)

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I've got a HKS timer ready to install, a slow 4/5 minute drive is fine for the weekend but for me a bit inconvenient when as I am normally driving to somewhere eg. appointment etc. Whilst this won't be my main means of transport I will on occasion drive it to work where it would be parked in a small private car park and be helpful for a very short period just to allow it to cool off. Its about 15 steps from my office to the car park.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MattE said:

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I've got a HKS timer ready to install, a slow 4/5 minute drive is fine for the weekend but for me a bit inconvenient when as I am normally driving to somewhere eg. appointment etc. Whilst this won't be my main means of transport I will on occasion drive it to work where it would be parked in a small private car park and be helpful for a very short period just to allow it to cool off. Its about 15 steps from my office to the car park.

The HKS ones also support a plug and play harness for easier install, did you get one of those too?

Edited by Peage