Smoking z32! Z32 Newbie needing help.

Hi all. So I’ve had my fair share of jap cars but always wanted a z32 TT. I managed to pick one up a few months back but has now started smoking. 
the smoke only starts after the car has warmed up. Then it smokes on tick over and under throttle. The smoke only comes out of the driver side exhaust. The previous owner had ran it for a short time on 5w30 fully. so I changed it to 10w40 part. I’ve also removed and check PCV valves, but they seem to be doing their job.

I’ve got a compression test booked in for next week, but I was wandering if anyone else could suggest anything?

the smoke is a mix of white, grey and blue! So confusing as hell.

Any hell would be appreciated!

Cheers 

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
On 31/08/2022 at 21:17, Peage said:

Likely your one of your turbos is failing. After hard acceleration and lifting off, do you see more smoke in the rear view mirror?

I agree - or more likely one of the turbo oil seals.

TBH, unless your Zed fails its MOT on emissions - or it really starts to consume oil - I'd live with it until it becomes a problem.... IE when it starts to perform badly, or you're forever topping up the oil.

Where are you based? Maybe another member can meet up with you and offer an opinion after seeing it - or perhaps you can get your Zed to Jimmer, for him to cast his expert eye over it.

I have something to say............ It's better to burn out than to fade away..... :tt2:

Does sound like classic turbo oil seal failure. 
Check if the exhaust is separated with an X or H pipe, sound like it is. 

These early Garrets have poor rear oil seals and if the pressure inside the turbo core (crank case pressure) is higher than the pressure in the exhaust the fluid will likely leak. This is why it happens once warm and on idle, sometimes just the aircon being activated is enough to stop/stem it. There’s various reasons for this like poor compression, bad vacuum, exhaust design and even blockages in the turbo drains. 

Check that the engine vacuum system is working effectively, not only is this functional PCVs but the restrictions in the cam cover tubes. 

Mine did the same after decat, rebuilt the turbos and they still did it a bit. I then modified the vacuum so that there was more savaging and it’s been golden ever since. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Basically in the cam cover breather, there’s a brush and a restrictor bush. Check they are in there, that restrictor is what pushes the crank case pressure slightly negative. 
You can also cut that pipe and install a non return valve. This will put the crank case into negative pressure.