Windshield greasing up

For about a year now I've had a problem with the windshield getting greasy when driving in temperatures below 15 celsius or so. It gets worse as the water temperature builds, I suspect that the engine coolant flowing through the heater core is evaporating because of the heat, then the fans are channeling it onto the windshield where it condenses on the colder glass creating a greasy film. Is it possible to completely shut off the fans under windshield? Even with the controls off completely I can still feel air flowing out of the windshield fans.

I think another problem is that it's very damp inside the car, I keep some crystals in the passenger footwell all the time to try and absorb the moisture but it doesn't seem to work very well.

inside or out?

i had a greasy windscreen for a couple of years on another car, i lost the head with it and ripped out the washer bottle, cleaned it in the dishwasher and flushed with boiling water. i can only think someone topped it up with anti-freeze or something by accident.

if its in the inside, check the condensation drain on the bottom of the AC unit, Tagra seals and water ingress.

If it's inside, then the simplest thing to do first is give it a thorough clean with a very good glass cleaner once a week. You'd be surprised how much mist and gunk accumulates during a week of driving; especially as autumn and winter set in!!!

I find the ZX's ventilation system is normally very good at demisting the inside of the screen; much better than my Merc!!! I do also keep the a/c on all year round too - which helps as it acts as a dehumidifier. You could also treat the interior glass with a good demist agent - Bluecol works well for me; don't bother with Rain-X as I found that just made things worse!!

Outside, give the glass a clean with methylated spirit - along with the wiper blades - and then once again polish with a high quality glass cleaner once a week. My favourites are Autoglym Fast Glass, Meguairs Perfect Clarity or Mer - the last 2 also contain limited anti-misting agents to help stop the interior steaming up.

Richard:cool:

I have something to say............ It's better to burn out than to fade away..... :tt2:

Leaky Targas?! otherwise potential heater matrix leak?

Yes the roof leaks a lot on both sides. The heater core split about 18 months ago and Jeff fixed everything, so I'd be surprised if there is a problem already, but I guess it's a possibility.

If it's inside, then the simplest thing to do first is give it a thorough clean with a very good glass cleaner once a week. You'd be surprised how much mist and gunk accumulates during a week of driving; especially as autumn and winter set in!!!

I find the ZX's ventilation system is normally very good at demisting the inside of the screen; much better than my Merc!!! I do also keep the a/c on all year round too - which helps as it acts as a dehumidifier. You could also treat the interior glass with a good demist agent - Bluecol works well for me; don't bother with Rain-X as I found that just made things worse!!

Outside, give the glass a clean with methylated spirit - along with the wiper blades - and then once again polish with a high quality glass cleaner once a week. My favourites are Autoglym Fast Glass, Meguairs Perfect Clarity or Mer - the last 2 also contain limited anti-misting agents to help stop the interior steaming up.

Richard:cool:

Yes the vents used to clear windshield quite quickly, but now it doesn't do anything at all, if anything it's now making it worse. I have a No Fog Mitt which I'm using to clean the inside, but it was really bad when I was driving today. I turned on the windshield fan to try and clear the screen but some kind of smoke started to come into the car, so I turned the fans off and put the windows down for the rest of the journey.

Thanks for all the suggestions I will try and find out what is happening!:detective:

My dad has been away this last week so we've not had chance to really look at it, but I was driving this morning and after about 3 miles the temperature gauge started to climb really quickly past the centre so I stopped. I let it stand for about a minute then turned round and went home, but on the return journey the temperature was normal.:confused:

I suppose now it's definitely something with the heater matrix, there was a lot of smoke in the cabin again when I was driving so there must be a leak somewhere.