mazda rx7

I really like them - but they get engine problems don't they.

I'd have one like as a second car

Membership No 0780

INSURANCE GOOFA

Datascan, Conzult, ECUTalk and a few others

I have all the rare bits you can't find :tongue::tongue:

They can have engine problems depending on how they've been looked after, if they've been rebuilt ect, you'd be better buying one that's already been rebuilt by someone like Hayward rotaries, if not they charge around 3k for a rebuild,

They really need looking after warmed up properly

Also just changing the exhaust can cause them to run lean so if it's had any mods it will need to have been mapped to suit,

If your wanting more power porting them is a must really, Street ports or bridge port are the ones to go for

Also get a compression test done on the car you go to look at tells a lot on these engines

Make sure you get the engines hot, turn it off and make sure it starts on the button from hot, this is a must as if it doesn't more than likely is a tired engine

Edited by 111mattin111

Buy as close a stock car as you can. as said above, mods without proper forethought can **** a 13B engine.

Also try and get a post 96 car as they had better ECU's and no 'rats nest'.

Look after a rotary properly and it's no more unreliable than any other car.

Zed #2: 1998 Midnight Purple 2+2 NA. (owned 2020 - now) 

Zed #1: 1995 Blue Slicktop NA (2013-2015)

I would avoid them like the plague they are pretty much worthless these days and very bad fuel consumption probably worse than an NA zed

Not everyone worries about such things.

But if you add them to the list of why they are so bad such as the engine rebuild woes it becomes good advice

Rotary engine are reliable, provided they are looked after.

I agree, if you buy a lemon, you are in trouble. But factor in £1200 on top of your purchase price and you can get a full fresh rebuild for peace of mind.

I know I sound like I am banging on about this. But I hear horror stories all the time about both the 13B and the Renesis Rotary engines. I've put a combined total of almost 100k on rotary engines, and never needed a single rebuild. All compressions still high when it came to selling on.

Maybe I was just a lucky one......or it could be that I just looked after my engine.

Fuel consumption was no worse than my 350z, or my HSV for that matter. And all cars are pretty much worthless when you drop below the £10k barrier. Never going to make money back, but we don't all buy cars for that. If that was the case, I'd be snapping up a Honda NSX, locking it in a garage under cover, and bringing it out in 20 years time and rolling in the appreciation.

Edited by Lexx

They would not have such a bad rep if they were so good. Not all owners of an RX8 are going to maintain it to the level that someone like you would maintain it. As a result because of the extra care needed to keep these things running most of them on the market will be ticking time bombs. I know three people who have owned these cars and all three of them have had engine problems with two of them being terminal.

Just saying. My advice would be to buy something far superior for the same money

- - - Updated - - -

Haha what a lemon I am, I thought the thread was asking about RX8 pros and cons not RX7. My hatred for the RX8 must have blinded me

I did wonder why you had suddenly brought RX8's into it! (Although I did own one of those for 4 years and 60,000 miles too - without incident, but then I had owned it from new).