Bloody tax office! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Why is dealing with the tax man like pulling out teeth? It’s such hard work and so very very awkward! I’m still awaiting a rebate from the last tax year. My previous company, I handed back my company car in lieu of an allowance and non asset tax. For some reason, the tax code wasn’t changed by the accountancy company that my last company used. Which meant, I was on a tax code for an asset I didn’t have.

I only really got to the bottom of it after I left them and noticed that my tax code with my new company was the same as my old company, yet I had a company car! I tracked it down to incorrect tax code through my previous job. Now I’m owed about £1000 tax…do you think I can get it back? Feckin hell, this has been going on for months now. My old company wrote me an accompanying letter to the tax office which I sent one with as well. Still nothing, despite umpteen calls to them. So, I leave it till now to when the P11Ds are created. For those that don’t know, P11Ds are tax forms indicating how much tax you’ve been paying on assets, ie, phones, cars, etc. The are a declaration that companies give to the tax office.

So, today, at the end of my tether, I ‘try’ to phone my tax office…can I get through??!!?? NO! Feckin’ thing constantly says ‘we are experiencing high call volumes’, please try again later!! FECKIN *******S GIVE ME MY BLOODY MONEY BACK!!! They are ALWAYS experiencing high call volumes, you ALWAYS have to be told to call back or sit on hold for 30 minutes. Why do we have to put up with this!!??

I know this is said all the time, but they are so quick to take but near impossible to give back!

/Monday morning rant :rant:

Just don't pay any tax......................like me :rofl:

But on a more serious note it took them nearly 14 months to stop taking tax off of me, was a very nice rebate though ;) when it finally turned up, there's something very satisfying about paying in a 5 figure cheque from the tax man.:dance:

I would give them "what for" if I could actually speak to a human rather than an electronic woman telling me to "phone back". Wish I could leave a message saying "no, you f**king phone me back you bunch of robbing understaffed 'tards!"

best bet would be to get down to your local office or find they're number in the directory and book an appointment. They are an arse to deal with as I do so in my job but not all are tards (such as my mum!). You just need to persevere nutil you manage to get a hold of one that will listen and act on what yuo say....good luck mate!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Ride

It is a good way to save...shame they don't give interest on it!

Yes they do Si.........;)

If you pay your tax bill early, or overpay then they must now pay you interest. After all they are quick to charge it if you are late!!

They are b@stards to deal with though. When I worked in the accountancy profession we had separate "agent's" phone numbers to use because the tax payers lines were always busy. A result of them closing local offices and consolidating them into larger regional centres miles away from where your firm is actually based. Unfortunately I don't have those phone numbers anymore - pity really...

Richard:(

I have something to say............ It's better to burn out than to fade away..... :tt2:

You learn something new every day. Didn't realise. Wonder what the rate is. Is it a recent thing?

It's been in place for a few years now; I left accountancy 4 years ago and they were paying interest on overpayments a while before that!

As for the rate - it's ususally around the same as you would get in a reasonable deposit account so you could reckon on at least 4-5% p/a

Richard:D

I have something to say............ It's better to burn out than to fade away..... :tt2:

I'm not sure about the rate but I believe Richard speaks the truth!

I could try and get you an agent's number if you like? If you let me know what your local area/district is (should be on your form)...if not, pm me your tax ref number and I can find it for you.

HTH

Vig

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Ride

Don't tell me that I've slated the Tax man and you are one...:rofl:

Not sure if you mean me, but I'm not a tax man as such! I work for the other side....'evil' corporates and high net worth individuals looking for 'creative' ideas to protect their wealth from the govt coffers! lol...

Let me know if I can help anyways...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Ride

• 2 months later...

This is STILL going on. I got a letter through this morning saying they've put me on a different tax code....BUT I AM CLAIMING FOR A PREVIOUS YEAR! They have now taken the car off that I have now. I am wanting a rebate for a previous year which is clearly says in my letter and P11D declaration, maybe they can't read!?

Unreal that they've had all this time to do something with it and they go and **** it up! Unbelievable.

Im totally gobsmacked that this country carries on running with the way some of the services are. Initially, I sent the letter to my previous company's tax office where it took them 6 weeks to open it. Following up on that, I called them to ask what was going on with it and they said they'd forwarded it on to my current company's tax office and they have a 10 week backlog on post!!!!!!!!!!! What the hell is going on?! Not to mention that almost EVERY time I call, I am kept in a queue for at least 10 minutes.

'Tax doesn't have to be taxing' is their motto. Well I say bollocks to that statement. It's a friggen nightmare full of incompetent and under reasourced staff!

Edited by FunkySi

lol...sorry to hear of your misery bud! HMRC are pretty bad but they're just as good/bad as any other government department - not after profit = not as tightly run endevery of the day! Most of the Inspectors and senior staff are fine but then the grunts who do the bulk of the work are basic trained part timers. Can't really blame anyone though I guess but it doesn't help that the Govt rewrite the tax rules every chance they get!

Just keep at it I guess....OR....employ an advisor to sort it all for you. Really depends on how much time, money and effort this is costing you. I know that with my firm the fact that we're big and well known gets things done a little quicker. Plus agents have dedicated phone lines now so we can get through very quickly...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Ride

I would give them "what for" if I could actually speak to a human rather than an electronic woman telling me to "phone back". Wish I could leave a message saying "no, you f**king phone me back you bunch of robbing understaffed 'tards!"

perhaps they ought to get a call center in india might get through then. :mac1: