Mobile phone advice ????

Not a lover of mobile phones, still using a Nokia 3310 !:shock:

Anyhoo,

Was offered this at a cracking price, and was wondering, is it any good ?

Reason for asking is, my daughter will be off to work in China soon, and email will be important, so all advice much appreciated !

Alan................

blackberrys are only really worthwhile if you send and recieve lots of emails, they are ok as a business use handset and making calls is dead easy but sending text is a pain in the arse as the letters are laid out diffrently to a standard handset, its a good phone mate and if the price is right then go for it but bare in mind whats said above as it could be a waste of money even if it is cheap. the main diff is that they recieve emails like a normal phone recieves a text ie it comes through to the handset without you doing anything

Alan

Is the 8100 for your daughter to use in China ? If so then how long is she going to be out there ? You need to remember that Blackberry will be downloading data at International rates and it may be cheaper to bnuy one when she gets there.

My firm has offices in Beijing and Shanghai. I am more than happy to get some costs for you if you want.

Device wise I know quite a few people who have these and they find them easy to use.

Mark

Alan

Is the 8100 for your daughter to use in China ? If so then how long is she going to be out there ? You need to remember that Blackberry will be downloading data at International rates and it may be cheaper to bnuy one when she gets there.

My firm has offices in Beijing and Shanghai. I am more than happy to get some costs for you if you want.

Device wise I know quite a few people who have these and they find them easy to use.

Mark

Cheers,

It is for me bud, back home in Scotland !

She is away to teach English, should be for 5 months initially, and she has her own lap-top, and t`nternet is provided in her room. Just wanna be there should she need to get in touch in a hurry, by whatever means ?

Daddy, daughter thing ?:o

Alan..............

blackberrys are only really worthwhile if you send and recieve lots of emails, they are ok as a business use handset and making calls is dead easy but sending text is a pain in the arse as the letters are laid out diffrently to a standard handset, its a good phone mate and if the price is right then go for it but bare in mind whats said above as it could be a waste of money even if it is cheap. the main diff is that they recieve emails like a normal phone recieves a text ie it comes through to the handset without you doing anything

Its about time I moved out of the dark ages anyways !!

Although this sounds strange, its not about me to use, but just wanna be in touch with my daughter, by any means possible.

Christ on a bike, I`m getting old !:(

Alan.........

well once its set up its really easy, if she wants to get in touch and let you know something she could have a message to you within a minuite or so, and you can reply back straight away, you will need to be on a contract as i dont think its supported on pay and go but if you buying the handset and arn't already on contract you can pick up a sim only contract deal (where you only get a sim card with some free mins and text and no phone) really cheap with a minimum contract length of about a month or so, if you need any help or info pm me and ill explain the best i can, i work in the industry so do it every day and dont mind helpin out.

well once its set up its really easy, if she wants to get in touch and let you know something she could have a message to you within a minuite or so, and you can reply back straight away, you will need to be on a contract as i dont think its supported on pay and go but if you buying the handset and arn't already on contract you can pick up a sim only contract deal (where you only get a sim card with some free mins and text and no phone) really cheap with a minimum contract length of about a month or so, if you need any help or info pm me and ill explain the best i can, i work in the industry so do it every day and dont mind helpin out.

Many thanks mate !:bow:

I am a bit of an oldie when it comes to phones. Hardly ever use it for calls, but text around 10 times a day? give or take ? Practically never use it at the weekend ! As for the camera facility ??? nah !!

Will let you know the out come, and your advice is greatly appreciated !

Alan.................

Alan

One thing to bear in mind with Blackberrys is that they transmit data every 5 minutes to ask for updates and it incures a data charge when sending and receiving an email depending on the size. This is unlike a text that only costs xxp per text.

check the data costs this will be the big outlay for you and ask what the charge if abroad as these can get very expensive and there is no easy way of turning off the email function and still let you receive calls.

Also be warned, they may try and offer a differnet phone with email on it but last time I checked no other device will automatically send the email to you (push technology). You have to press a button to get the phone to check for emails and from the sounds of it, not what you want.

I hope this helps

Mark

Alan

I have an Blackberry 8310 Curve and have just done battle with Vodafone who advertised 'Free sat nav' when I took out the contract.......to get it to work u need to subscribe to the Blackberry e-mail service at a further £15 a month on top of your contract. I eventually got it FOC as the sales girl didnt have a clue when I took the contract out over the phone but she didnt tell me about the extra costs. I took the phone to France and used the sat nav where it downloaded new maps (6kb here and there) at a cost of like £0.04 here and there which I wasnt bothered about. What network provider is the phone with m8 thats my experience with Vodaphone. After about 4 phone calls I eventually chose 'thinking of leaving Vodafone' and that did the trick, they gave me a years subscription FOC. If you are setting up a contract it might be worthwhile asking if the e-mails etc is covered by the contract or do you need the Blackberry subscription as well.

Cheers John

Edited by john300zx