another key stuck in ignition thread!

Hello All

Sorry for repeating this but looking at previous posts my problem may be different, not sure.

Basically it's the old chestnut of key won't release out of ignition barrel, the little push button will not push in at all, the key still freely rotates both directions so i can still turn the engine over or turn it off etc.

the car is an auto jap 92, i've tried moving the gear selector, it's in park of course but can't free it up by giving it a slight wiggle, steering lock isn't on either, so i really don't know.

used to get this occassionally but the key always released after you turned the engine over again or drove somewhere etc.

any help greatly appreciated guys :confused:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I had the same problem and after checking all the possibilities I simply cut the wire to the solenoid which holds the key in. Have never had any more problems since. Only thing is you can get the key out without it being in Park, so be careful

Tony from Oz

I had a zed and the key would'nt come out, i pulled of the small peice of plastic that surrounds the button and used a little slotted screwdriver to push a black peice of plastic either up or down and it then released the button to move freely again and the key came out. I then stuck something in there to stop it from happening again and hey presto - problem solved, maybe not the perfect way to fix it, but it worked and i never has any problems again. HTH.

I had a zed and the key would'nt come out, i pulled of the small peice of plastic that surrounds the button and used a little slotted screwdriver to push a black peice of plastic either up or down and it then released the button to move freely again and the key came out. I then stuck something in there to stop it from happening again and hey presto - problem solved, maybe not the perfect way to fix it, but it worked and i never has any problems again. HTH.

I did exactly the same - stuck some bluetac onto the little switch. Worked a treat until the summer and it got bloody hot which caused the bluetac to loose its rigidity and the problem reoccurred.

Got a new ignition barrel in the end (thanks W1NG! ;))

Cheers,

Dan