Why the 300ZX is such an amazing car........

Guest Nelson MainFella

Guest Nelson MainFella

There are probably no other cars to touch it for the price, in terms of performance and looks/features. But why is it so cheap ? - because most people buy a car based on what other people's perception of the car will be...so they want a flash car and they buy a Porsche, Ferrari, Lotus, Jag., Merc,BMW etc., NOT a Nissan !! So by buying a 300ZX, you are showing that you buy an item on it's own merits, NOT on PERCEIVED merits (unless you just couldn't afford a Porsche, Ferrari etc. !!). But the car is clearly not just another Nissan - it's a special car, built for performance and driver comfort, with very little compromise. It's getting one over on the Nobs who buy a badge instead of a car, and PAY wads for the privelege ! It's fast, enduringly beautiful, aerodynamic, sophisticated engine (24V, V6, DOHC), versatile [targa top & good at sprinting and crusing], ahead of it's time(HICAS, VVT, climate control etc.) and thanks to its relative rarity - MYSTERIOUS and diff

erent.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Guest rock_star

I agree, I was looking at 928's, supras GTO's etc but it was the zed that cut the mustard for me. I didn't buy mine because it was cheap, I would of bought one even if they were much more expensive.

I bought mine purely on its own merits of which you mention.

Yup badge snobbery!

back in 1990 when the Z32 first hit these shores the most common comparison magazines used was with the Porsche 928S4 and 944 Turbo(no other japanese car could touch it and the R32 Nissan Skyline GTR was japan only).

For three years the Z32 was compared with Porsches etc(sometimes also against the £50,000 Honda NSX), and a fair amount of praise was heaped upon the humble Nissan supercar.

But, in Tiff Needell's words from his 1991 test "...Have the japanese finally overcome the 'image barrier'? Very nearly...but not quite.."

It was only when the rest of the Japanese Car Companies bought out their "new" twin turbo models(in some cases 3 years later due to the brilliance of the Z32) that the magazines(and some punters) started to take japanese cars for what they were, and not for what country they were from.

People forget that the Datsun 240Z was a great Japanese sports car when released.

They forget that the Mazda Mx-5 is now the worlds most popular sports car.

They just see a badge with BMW, Porsche etc and dismiss the Japanese car without even driving it.

Hence why Toyota created the "Lexus" brand and Nissan the "Infiniti" brand to distance themselves from the pre-concieved ideas of US/UK buyers.

But back to the point, the Nissan Z32 300ZX was a great car when it was released in 89/90, and it is still a great car over a decade later.

But it still requires a "supercar" level of maintenance after all these years, so many go without the needed services/repairs etc, so people tend to cast an "unreliable" light upon these 10 year old+ pioneers of the Japanese Supercar. Which is a shame.

Take pride in the fact that even though in 1996 the 300ZX was removed from the US market(continued till 1999/2001 in japan), it still ranks 5th in the Car and Driver Top 10 Model Scoreboard for 2002 6 years after leaving the US market! The next japanese 'supercar' is the RX-7 which is 10th! biggrin.gif

------------------

Trev

1990 300ZX TT 2+2(import)

http://www.300zx.co.uk/rides/trey/

[This message has been edited by Trey (edited 27-06-2002).]

Guest Nelson MainFella

Yes, the fact that 300ZX's are cheap to buy now for what they are (supercars), makes the cost of maintaining them adequately relatively expensive and in some cases unaffordable - hence many get treated badly and fail prematurely.

I still can't work out how Nissan has not managed to gain the brand loyalty/credibility/image of Toyota, Mitsubishi or even Mazda [compare prices of 300ZX's with any other comparable Japanese cars - possibly explains why no 300ZX's in Fast & the Furious). Probably a legacy of the MR-2 and MX-5. 300ZX is clearly too much of a mouthful for the masses ! Nissan's Primera was by all accounts a great car to drive, but it never caught on in a big way. Between the 240Z and 300ZX Z32, I have read that Nissan sports cars lost their way a bit; perhaps this explains the situation to some extent, and the 200SX/Silvia was not a great success over here like the MR-2/MX-5.

Some great comments there!

It must be so disheartening to work at Nissan. They seem to apply exactly what the consumers want in their cars and then don't sell any. I remember the first time I saw the Silvia (shame about the name) it stood out so much from just about everything else on the road for the same money. Having owned one I know how solid reliable and comfortable they are - so what went wrong. Had a primeria which was incredibly enjoyable car to drive especialy compared to its rivals. I am in constant awe of the 300zx and the pride that comes from owning it.

Just can't understand why Nissan haven't done better.

It seems that the only country that the Z value hasnt gone down is Cyprus.

you will be very lucky if you find a Z for 18000 CY pounds. = 20000 UK pounds

I saw a red Z the other day and I asked the guy how much he bought it. He said he payed 22000 pounds and it was a 1992 model TT.

I have insured my car for 18000 pounds and that sais it all.

Now you might ask me why the price is so high.

I believe its because Cypriots cannot import a car which is over 5 years old and the people who owns a Z sell them at very high prices. This applies only for the 300ZX. To give you an example you can find a 1994 Skyline for 10000 pounds.

And people buy Z at that high prices over here. I had offers at 22000 to sell mine. 1990 model TT. WW Bodykit, Triflo exaust and blah blah...

But selling my Z is like selling my self and I am not for sale.

I still can't work out how Nissan has not managed to gain the brand loyalty/credibility/image of Toyota, Mitsubishi or even Mazda

Thing is, in Japan, Nissan is the popular choice among sports car/drift drivers.

The Nissan S13 k's, A31 Cefiros and GTR's are very very popular and have a massive follwing.

Have you seen how many clubs there are for the Nissan GTR's!

The Nissan Fairlady Z(s130,Z31,Z32) also has a massive worldwide following for all models!

In the UK we only get what Nissan UK think we will buy! If Nissan UK sold the full range of Nissan sports cars from 1989/1990 we would have been drifting round in these...

gallarey3.jpg

...instead of the FWD blue oval brigade scrabbly here comes a hedge stuff!

Hardly any other countries got/get the Nissan 250hp six speed S15 Silvia, R34 GTR, 1996-2000 Z32 300ZX!

Nissan had and still has a great range of RWD or 4WD sports cars....

240Z (blew MGB's etc out of the picture in the US)

260Z (still nice)

S13 Silvia K's/Q's (very popular among Drift racers in japan, some were HICAS equiped)

A31 Cefiros (some were RB powered)

180/200SX (great RWD turbo car - overlooked in the UK)

Z31 300ZX (Only japan got the RB powered 2 seater)

Z32 300ZX (First Japanese Twin Turbo Supercar to go on sale in US/Europe/Aus, GTR was Japan only in 1989)

R32/33/34 GTR (UK only got the R33/R34 GTR via Nissan UK and only 50 units of each I think, due to SVA regs)

How many other Japanese car companies have such a strong RWD/4WD range? not many, at most they have 1 or 2 RWD models. The rest of their "sports" car range are made up of Front Drive Scrabbly Crap! Celica's, FTO's maybe nice cars but nowhere near as much fun as an 1989 200SX!

So Nissan UK, give us our 250hp RWD S15's, new GTR and the whole range of the new 350Z and not the 1 model you think will sell(probably the least exciting)

Trev (hasnt even mentioned the Supercharged and Turbocharged Nissan Micra, the 1.0 Rear engined Turbo Nissan Figaro, the Nissan Escargo blah blah......) biggrin.gif

------------------

Trev

1990 300ZX TT 2+2(import)

http://www.300zx.co.uk/rides/trey/

[This message has been edited by Trey (edited 27-06-2002).]

Guest Nelson MainFella

Yes, my S13 1993 200SX has quite a bit of turbo-lag, but when it kicks in it's quite something - especially if u have the O/D OFF - and it's an Automatic. It's stock but very exciting to drive - the Parker's online buying guide gives a good review of it, as it does for the 300ZX. It would only sell now for about £2,000 so I'm holding onto it - makes the 300ZX cheaper to run as well as a second car. If you want a cheap 2nd hand car that kicks ass, buy an S13 200SX [pre-1994] - faster than the more refined 2-litre S14. 30mpg is also good for 170BHP.

Guest JayPSC

Originally posted by Trey:

1.0 Rear engined Turbo Nissan Figaro

Got any links for this? Sounds hilarious, great fun for ripping round in biggrin.gif

------------------

slogo.jpg

Love at first sight for me - was looking for something to replace my (3rd) MG Maestro (first turbo). Went MGB V8, MGC, 240ZX then got a test in my 300ZX and got a bigger overdraft!

Looks like a goddess, drives like a Ferrari, reliable as a Nissan (well, you get the point).

I agree about the Nissan UK thing. They basically release the leftovers that wouldnt make it in Japan. Whats that Sigma, its like a Skyline Estate, with the HICAS and 280bhp. What a blast that would be. And that little 1litre Turbo. I think the car is made of plastic and looks like a really old 60s car. I have seen a few for sale on a site and they are going for £6,000 - £8,000.

Also look at all the Jap street drifting vids. They are mostly SXs old and new and Silvas. Any ones seen the most powerful Japanese street legal car. Its a White 300ZX.

Nissan are huge over in Japan. I bet they have mechanics that know what they are doing too. wink.gif

Stuart

Guest Nelson MainFella

Yes, first time I saw one on a forecourt I was smitten...but amazingly the car was also a great drive, immensely powerful and relatively cheap. I still look in awe when I see another one on the road and the view head-on as one approaches you is so distinctive and cool. Nothing else looks remotely like a Z, yet it's lines look so classic.

Part of the reason for it's cheapness in the UK is supply and demand - those few who can easily afford [or are prepared to pay] to run such a car will buy a new one or a brand with a better 'image', so an old 300ZX (like old Jags etc.) are not wanted by wealthier people, so there's a surplus. The only incentive for 'less wealthy' people to buy them, is to vastly reduce the price.

Yes its like the posh people with they Jags and BMWs.

I know some one who is loaded, he runs oil wells in the middle east, dones own them, but is like the head man in charge of them. He said he sells his BMW every 2-3 year, because if you have the money he has, socially its not right to keep a BMW longer than that. He says he will buy a BMW for £50,000-£60,000 and 2-3years later sell it for £15,000.

Stuart

Here are 2 cars. 1 never made it into production.

Nissan R390GT1

3.5 litre V8 Twin Turbo

Mid-engine, rear wheel drive.

1098KG,

0-60 3.9

PicFetch?pic=1998_nissan_r390_gt1-1.jpg

But who would spend near £500,000 for a NISSAN?

Nissan Stagea Autech RS260

2.6 litre Inline 6 Turbo 4WD (Skyline)

280bhp

1/4 mile 12.9 seconds

PicFetch?pic=1998_nissan_stagea_autech_rs260-1.jpg

PicFetch?pic=1998_nissan_stagea_autech_rs260-2.jpg

Why dont we see these cars?

Stuart

Guest Ay3388

Unfortunately, both cars made it into production, as can be clearly seen by the road registration on the r390, and it was a base for the new GT car for nissan, dont know if that ever came about.

The Stagea also made into full jap production, the autech rs is a special edition by tuning company called, funnily enough, Autech smile.gif theres a normal stagea, with no bodykit but similar specs, and theres also a Nismo special edition one too. smile.gif

Regards

Guest Leigh

The R390 was built and raced by TWR for Nissan. Yes they were sold here, and no I have never seen one on the flesh.

Probably some rich B*****D who never drives it, and keeps it off the road so no one else can enjoy it.

Leigh