May 13, 200224 yr I'm hoping that someone might have already solved this potential problem. I'd like to fit a Turbo Timer, but, and here's the problem, I have a Cobra alarm fitted that I have upgraded to total closure. So, there are 2 problems as I see it: 1. Locking the car from the 'blipper' obviously arms the alarm. How can this work if the engine is still running on the timer. 2. The Cobra has a passive immobiliser, i.e. It sets itself after about a minute and a half. What will happen if the TT is running? Hope someone can help. Tim PS: Has anyone considered the Audi system of running a small additional oil pump to 'cool' the turbos after switching the ignition off?
May 13, 200224 yr I have a Clifford alarm and a turbo timer, the alarm also immobilises itself after about 20secs, but if I have the turbo timer running it doesn't come on until the engine stops. I can't lock my car with the remote key either as it just doesn't lock. I could lock it with the keys although all the doors unlock anyway when the engine turns off. Anyway I don't think I could leave my car running and walk off, even if it had the best security system in the world, just too worried that when I came back it would be gone....sniff
May 13, 200224 yr No worries about leaving the engine running - the timer has a connection to the speed sensor so will cut the engine off as soon as it senses movement once the key is out Also, the alarm will only auto arm once the ignition is turned off - the turbo timer keeps the engine running by keeping the ignition turned on so only once the turbo timer has finished will the alarm auto arm... The legal aspect of turbo timers is interesting though - if you leave a car with the engine running it is classed as abandonment - this IS the case with the turbo timers unfortunately... However the way I see it is that you have a far better judge of how long to leave the engine running - even if you DO stay in the car while it runs... CheerZ, Andy
May 13, 200224 yr I've got to leave the car running, but the Toad alarm, arms itself shortly after the ignition cuts out. The worrying thought is the car is still driveable And... if I hear one more person telling me that I have left my engine running, I'll kill em!!
May 14, 200224 yr I had this problem when getting my Toad fitted. Basically, it can be done (with relays and stuff), but the alarm company and insurers wouldn't let me wire it this way. Basically, I have to let the timer end before I can remote lock/alarm my car. You can manually lock the door and the alarm will eventually set, but you have to manually unlock it when you next use it (obviously de-arming the alarm first). Bit of a PITA, but at least you have all legalities covered! Peter
I'm hoping that someone might have already solved this potential problem.
I'd like to fit a Turbo Timer, but, and here's the problem, I have a Cobra alarm fitted that I have upgraded to total closure.
So, there are 2 problems as I see it:
1. Locking the car from the 'blipper' obviously arms the alarm. How can this work if the engine is still running on the timer.
2. The Cobra has a passive immobiliser, i.e. It sets itself after about a minute and a half. What will happen if the TT is running?
Hope someone can help.
Tim
PS: Has anyone considered the Audi system of running a small additional oil pump to 'cool' the turbos after switching the ignition off?