Remote starter

I'm thinking of treating myself this christmas to a remote starter, as it's getting cold now, plus i'm getting lazy. I looked on ebay an saw one there which looked pretty good. But there was a not that said it was not for an automatic. I've asked the seller if this was a feature that was not for an automatic or if it was the whole set up that would not work for my car.

He did reply an say that he was not 100% sure but would gladly find out for me. Does anyone know if there would be a reason that a remote car starter would not work on an automatic? :confused:

Remote start should only be fitted to an auto anyway as they say? my last car was an celica gt4 that was manual and had remote start, forgetting I had it in gear when I finished work and fired it up using the remote start I found my car reversing up the car park on its own I managed to stop it in time before it hit another car!! it will tell you in the remote start manual that they should only be fitted to autos.

ive got a manix alarm/imobiliser on the charade, has remote start. works for deisel, autos and manuals. fully programmable, theres just no thatcham cert with it, shame really cos its a fantastic alarm with remote pager and so many other features.

I've had experience with loads of them ebay remote start alarms and i gotta say the manix one is the best I've come accross.

None of these systems are recognised by the insurance industry so you need to be a little creative to get around that. :cool:

I only fit a system on a manual car if the system has a built in turbo timer as this stops you from leaving it in gear when you park up.

The main thing to look for is the way that the system picks up that the engine has actually fired up or not. The cheapest ones use a wire looped around the HT lead from the coil (something the Zed does not have anyway) This sytem is crap and means the car will probably take 2 or 3 goes to fire up. The better systems pick up from the cars electrical system or oil pressure.

HTH

it is no problem wiring it up to the zed with a manual gearbox if you are any good with electrics, I wired mine up and its a cliford G5, THE BEAUTY with the zed gearbox is they have a neutral switch for the ecu, so you can piggyback a relay off this to activate the inhibitor relay circuit of the remote start just like a auto,so basically if ur cars in gear it won't remote start, and also the car won't manually start in gear lol

richard

Thanks everyone. I was racking my brains trying to work out in what way that it was no good for automatics. This is one I was looking at. So if anyone has any advice or knowledge on it, would be most helpful. Ta!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=ADME%3AL%3ARTQ%3AUK%3A1&viewitem=&item=160055095846&rd=1

That looks like a decent enough one to me.

I can't for the life of me see any reason this would not work on an auto.

Good luck with the install :)

it is no problem wiring it up to the zed with a manual gearbox if you are any good with electrics, I wired mine up and its a cliford G5, THE BEAUTY with the zed gearbox is they have a neutral switch for the ecu, so you can piggyback a relay off this to activate the inhibitor relay circuit of the remote start just like a auto,so basically if ur cars in gear it won't remote start, and also the car won't manually start in gear lol

richard

would like to know more about that i have a auto start on my auto and im converting to manual was a bit worried about starting it in gear

Thanks again everyone. I.m going ahead an buying one, then have a pop at doing it myself. So expect several more threads screaming for help. :headvswal I should be ok. I know if it's a little much for me, not to carry on an break things. But you never learn from not trying :tongue: