engine out n part stripped !

Hi guys n gals

Started stripping my engine for it's major rebuild this evening. Don't think i've ever worked on an engine with that many bloody vac hoses !

Down as far as lower plenum at present, hopefully have heads off by end of 2morrow evening.

Will post pics of progress if anybodies interested :rolleyes:

Robin

Tonights work has me as far as turbos, ex manifolds and cam covers off. Cam pulleys off 2morrow closely followed by the heads. Then I can see whether 1 or both head gaskets have failed and if I now have warped/cracked heads.

Only things of any note so far are; 1 cam sync sensor has got very hot and started to melt ! turbine outlet hoses are very oily on outside, so obviously been losing some boost there and I don't think this engine has ever seen a torque wrench, as anything that isn't corroded is pretty loose.

Took some pics along the way but have no idea how to upload them or what the max file size is ? If somebody could point me in the right direction i'd appreciate it.

More later

Robin

ok as promised here are some pics

As you can see, the compressor side of the turbo is very oily

attachment.php?attachmentid=28278&stc=1

attachment.php?attachmentid=28279&stc=1

Leaky core plug, both oil and water mixed by the look of it. will invetigate further when the heads are off.

attachment.php?attachmentid=28280&stc=1

Resin at the back of the L/H cam sync sensor seems to have got very hot and started to melt !

attachment.php?attachmentid=28281&stc=1

Pile of bits waiting for some lovin :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=28282&stc=1

Right i'm off to remove heads

Later people

Robin

My latest spell in the garage has my engine almost completely stripped. Heads, pistons and crank are all off. Noticed the sump looks like it has some bits welded onto it, it's not just one pressing, is this how they are ?

Haven't found anything drastic, all bores and journals show limited signs of ware, which is not bad considering the 127k the engine has done and much of that has been at around 1.2bar of boost.

So, strip the last ancilaries off the block before the cleaning and measuring can begin.

the list of bits that will be going back on/in are as follows;

-Wiseco forged pistons

-Eagle forged rods

-Complete Nissan Gasket Kit

-New Nissan Oil Pump/New Nissan Water Pump

-New Nissan Timing Belt

-New Nissan Rod and Main Bearings -12 New Nissan Freeze Plugs

-JWT 530BB turbos (not defo choice yet, open to suggestions)

-Divorced Downpipes

-Apexi dual chamber BOVS

-RPS max street clutch

-New EFI harness

-300zx Twin Turbo Ultimate Cooling Package

-Chrome DOOLZ (Dual Intake)

- Various other chrome/polished bits

-AP six pot calipers with larger rotors up front

-Custom ECU map

Sure there will be things i've forgotten to add to this list but it's most of the major components.

Scared to add it all up ! :cry: Good job i'm going to the US in the middle of next year :dance:

Cheers for lookin

Robin

• Trade

Hi mate good luck with the rebuild.you dont need to fit graded bearings from nissan if you dont want to.speak to a machine shop and they will tell you it isnt necessary.the grades differ by microns which is a crazy tolerance to work with.any good aftermarket shells will be fine such as payen or clevite.they come in standard or +10 etc.many jap engines use this system but it is classic jap over engineering. ;)

Untitled-1.png

My latest spell in the garage has my engine almost completely stripped. Heads, pistons and crank are all off. Noticed the sump looks like it has some bits welded onto it, it's not just one pressing, is this how they are ?

Haven't found anything drastic, all bores and journals show limited signs of ware, which is not bad considering the 127k the engine has done and much of that has been at around 1.2bar of boost.

So, strip the last ancilaries off the block before the cleaning and measuring can begin.

the list of bits that will be going back on/in are as follows;

-Wiseco forged pistons

-Eagle forged rods

-Complete Nissan Gasket Kit

-New Nissan Oil Pump/New Nissan Water Pump

-New Nissan Timing Belt

-New Nissan Rod and Main Bearings -12 New Nissan Freeze Plugs

-JWT 530BB turbos (not defo choice yet, open to suggestions)

-Divorced Downpipes

-Apexi dual chamber BOVS

-RPS max street clutch

-New EFI harness

-300zx Twin Turbo Ultimate Cooling Package

-Chrome DOOLZ (Dual Intake)

- Various other chrome/polished bits

-AP six pot calipers with larger rotors up front

-Custom ECU map

Sure there will be things i've forgotten to add to this list but it's most of the major components.

Scared to add it all up ! :cry: Good job i'm going to the US in the middle of next year :dance:

Cheers for lookin

Robin

The sump is indeed a multipart-part if that's the right way to describe it!

The bit that 'stick-out' is welded on after. Although from memory, that should be the only part with external welds. All the baffle plates are spot-ed.

Si.

Thx Jimmer

When it's all cleaned i'll measure up the journals and work out the clearances and go from there. Only reason i listed them is beacause there part of the standard Z1motorsport rebuild kit.

WillyEd

That is exactly wot I meant, although, if what you say is correct I seem to have an extra bit welded on mine, same side as the 'bulge' and slightly forward.

Maybe it's had some damage at some point and been repaired. I'll post a pic later then you can see exactly what I mean.

cheers

Robin

Hi Greg

I assumed that was a cam aync sensor ? whatever it's coated in has melted and bare wires are now showing which can't be good ! So may replace it anyway.

Thx for the info though

Robin

its the vvt and its normal to look like that ;) but if you doubt it change it easy to do :)

thant turbo looks caked :smash:

Hi Jonce

Wasn't that bad a job really, if you've got a reasonable tool kit. There are some good links on this site to some very comprehensive guides on engine removal. Only bit I struggled with was gettin the G/Box off, which was mainly due to cramped working space under the car.

Would defo suggest a 2 man job for the actual removal though, makes it much easier.

Cheers

Robin

Quick update on progress.

Engine is now completely stripped. Cleaned the block at work today and took it to our friendly NDT department to have it crack checked. Tomorrow it should be going into inspection to have the bores and main journals measured. Tomorrow evening I'll hopefully get to mic up the crank journals so I can calculate the clearances.

Cheers

Robin