Help urget paint advice.

ive always been told to rub back the mettalic top coat to a mat finish then apply the laquer. i thought it was to help eliminate orange peel effect but am probably wrong on this fact!

thats what i did with my spoiler and it looks fine to me.

OP is usually present through the lacquer even if it's present to some degree in the base coat metallic. You flat back the lacquer to a dull even finish before cutting back and then polishing. This flats out the OP in the lacquer, then you can finish off to achieve an even shine.

i have a car body shop and have been painting cars for years and never heard of flatting a metallic basecoat before laquering, you only ever flat a base coat of there is a defect in it and then you have to repaint with base coat. if the blemishes in the base coat are minor it should be ok to laquer it and flat and polish it and you most proberly wont notice them.

use a tack rag between coats of base coat, it removes dust and other bits that could spoil the finish. never use a tack rag between coat of laquer.

i have a car body shop and have been painting cars for years and never heard of flatting a metallic basecoat before laquering, you only ever flat a base coat of there is a defect in it and then you have to repaint with base coat.

Exactly.

Here is the info from the Max Meyer Data sheets for Maxicar HS basecoat and Maxiclear HS New. (laquer)

Preparation. Final sanding of undercoat with P320-400. and Scotchbrite Fine is strongly recomended.Apply the first coat of Maxicar HS beyond the primed area. Apply subsequent coats just beyond the previous coat.

Dry Macicar HS for 20 to 30 minutes.

Tack with tack cloth prior to application of clear.

Number of clearcoats 2

Suggested thickness. 50 microns.

Job done.

NO FLATTING IN BETWEEN..

. Max Meyer?? they know a bit about paint I reckon :confused:

Stand back and admire!!! :nana2:

A tip on how to get a top class finish. After the metallic coat is applied put two coats of clear lacquer on then let it dry off until you can sand it flat with 800grade wet and dry (sand it wet) then put two more coats of clear on to achieve a mirror finish. This is a picture of my car when I did it, note that this is a sprayed finish and has not been cut back or buffed yet.

Good luck

Paul