variable valve timing query

I am thinking about getting a 300ZX and wasn't aware there was variable valve timing available on 300ZX engines. On my current Honda Prelude VTEC, the VTEC variable valve timing makes a BIG difference to performance but i expect it is not as noticable on cars with turbos. From what i have heard the Honda VTEC system is the best variable valve timing system on the market and has never had any recorded failures so is the Nissan version anygood/worth having or does it cause problems and is more trouble than it is worth? Does the variable valve timing kick in at a certain rev point like the VTEC system? from what year does the engines have the VVT? how is this shown?

it's not like the Honda systerm from what i understand, i think it's only on the ex cam. a few car's have this kind of set up (with differant name) BMW 6cyl 24v 91-on, Lotus Elan 89-94, it's more for good fuel than power like in the honda.