help quick please

ok went for a drive and got back home washed the car etc went to move it and a horrible noise (grinding noise) come from the engine end.so turned it off and then started it again and it was very load.

so turned off and had a look and couldnt see anything so started it again and it wouldnt start i.e turn key and it was dead.so thinking stater i put car in gear and moved back and forward and you could hear it ,took it out of gear and no noise in ,put it back in gear then put clutch down and noise went.got in it again and it started so quickly moved it in the garage .

do you think its the starter totely buggerd or somethng else

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Just a guess but with you moving it in gear the starter may have stuck in?

yes plus iwhen i moved it more revs i.e 3k you could hear it spin up .when moving it it sounded like a piece of crap.like something was broken

Does it start ok now?

havent tried it anymore when i rocked it and then tried it again and it started i quickly moved it inside and it was making the grinding noise all the time and more revs you could hear somithing spin fast.got it inside and got under it and looked at starter and it seemed all there i.e not hanging off.

sounds like when you start a car and try to start again starter makes a grinding noise.but this is doing it all the time

Ring gear is the teeth on the flywheel if starter is contionoiusly engaged to the ring gear when reved the starter can over heat burn out and have been known to catch fire so becarefull .

ok thanks for that so does this all sound like stater then.and how easy is it to change ,leaving for jae on fri so need one asap

Ive done one got from andy super car parts in thetford he had loads in stock half hour job heat sheild removal is the hardest part .Remeber to disconnect battery.

have pm him .andys only a 15min drive from me :)

so stange how it just went like that

Starters on zeds are know for crunching and griding against the ringgear .Its caused by the throwout armature not retuning after start up sometimes they can be fixed with taking off and spaying up with wd40 .There £180 new .about £40 secondhand.

Starters on zeds are know for crunching and griding against the ringgear .Its caused by the throwout armature not retuning after start up sometimes they can be fixed with taking off and spaying up with wd40 .There £180 new .about £40 secondhand.

ok thanks mate.hope thats what it is.

i dont think its the starter as dipping the clutch wouldnt make any difference to the starter they are completly seperat i think its your gear box bearing or syncromesh or even 1 of the gears gone reason i think that is, you said only happends in gear no noise when clutch dipped or out of gear as the input shaft which is the shaft that comes out the box and into back of the engine this turns indipendantly with the engine when there is no gear selected and is only ingaged with the gear box when you select a gear hence the noise when in gear as then drive is through to the wheels

i dont think its the starter as dipping the clutch wouldnt make any difference to the starter they are completly seperat i think its your gear box bearing or syncromesh or even 1 of the gears gone reason i think that is, you said only happends in gear no noise when clutch dipped or out of gear as the input shaft which is the shaft that comes out the box and into back of the engine this turns indipendantly with the engine when there is no gear selected and is only ingaged with the gear box when you select a gear hence the noise when in gear as then drive is through to the wheels

it does it when in neutral when u start it .but if its not started and you rock the car in neutral you cant hear it.but when in gear and rocking car you can hear it.dipping clutch was done with engine not started.

thanks for the help

have you checked the starter motor is tight it only has to drop a couple of mill and it will do this ...dissconect the battery +ve terminal not earth ...get the car on axle stands...dont forget when jacking it up use the correct points or the front wings can come away from the seam at the bottom edge ....sometimes the bolts ( two of them ) come loose and the SM drops a little locking it into the ring gear in a bad position , its only a twenty minute job to replace one twenty seconds to tighten one up ..

good luck mate

steve

This happened to me (^^^^above^^^^) a couple of months ago, one of the threads had stripped on the bell housing causing the starter to drop, made a horrible noise. New thread and a bolt, job done. Could be the answer rather than shelling out for the starter only to find it won't bolt in.

my old NA had the opposite problem.

The starter motor was lazy and sometimes wouldn't engage fully with the ringgear before starting. it makes a fookin horrible noise. but it would only do this once in every 50 times that I would start it.

very weird...

update on this.

got under car today and bottom bolt on starter was gone and on the pee.so took it off and the starter was stuck in the start position.so went and see andyz got one, fitted it and away i went

cheers for all the help guys.