O2 Sensor readings, possible failed lambda

Hi all,

I hooked up the datascan to our N/A Zed the other day to reset the ECU (pick up was crap due to a previous hole in the exhaust, now fixed). Whilst watching the pretty gauges, I noticed the O2 sensor gauge was a bit inactive.

I added in the other side and the "O2 Sensor Right Hand" flicks back and forth as you would expect. However the "O2 Sensor" (presumably left hand) seems to get stuck. Occasionally it flickers into life but it never gets as far round and often sits on 0 or 1. Also the "A/F" register at the bottom shows "Lean" instead of alternating between Lean and Rich.

Is this likely to be a failed lambda sensor or possibly a wiring problem? Any way of checking the lambda sensors? Which side is "Right Hand" (i.e. looking from the front towards the rear or from the driver's seat)? Could this have been caused by me resetting the ECU and clearing the learning paramters?

Cheers,

Ian A.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Guys i have the same problem but sometimes lambda starting to work properly for a 1 minute or 2... and no error code from ECU. do i need to change it ?

where is lambda ? i was thinking that it is on catalic converter... what is the sensor on catalic converter ?

Guys i have the same problem but sometimes lambda starting to work properly for a 1 minute or 2... and no error code from ECU. do i need to change it ?

where is lambda ? i was thinking that it is on catalic converter... what is the sensor on catalic converter ?

sensor on cats are tep sensors to warn you of overheating. o2 sensors are further forward in the down pipes from the engine look in the engine bay at the back you will see the sensors.

If problem is intermittent, check connectors for corrosion first.

good idea and also if you have messed about with the ecu check the blue connector is seated correctly and not over tightened. i thought i had a damaged o2 sensor but it was that i over tightened the ecu plug!!

as soon as i loosened it and pushed it in squarly it worked perfectly!! :hyper:

The lambda sensor does sound like it is at fault mate. You will find them on the downpipe at the front of the exhaust.

The right side of the vehicle is the drivers side as if your looking at the vehicle from the rear.

The blue connector on the ECU mate has a 10mm bolt that holds it in to stop the connector from falling out. Loosen the bolt and make sure it's pushed into the control unit correctly then just tighten the bolt till you feel it pinch. This is all the tightening torque you need on it mate.