Rough cost to thatch a roof and lower a floor?

Me and Mrs CD are thinking of moving house.

We've seen a nice one - but it has a low ceiling in the living room - apparently we could get the floor scraped away. Does anyone know if this is a big job (ie approx cost) on a room approx 15X25 feet (lots of beams in the way too)?

Also it has a thatched roof. It's just had some interim work but sounds like it's half way between the 25 year overhauls - doea anyone know what they cost, roughly?

Cheers!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Its not a big job if you have a flagstone floor. They are usually photographed, marked / labelled and removed, and then the floor dug out and flags replaced. Of course your problem will come if there is a fireplace, and also you would end up with up step out of the room. This process is usually only carried out to barns being converted and to the whole ground floor, not just a room. Thatching is not cheap because the usual materials used are now in short supply so alternatives have ben found with a shorter life expectancey. Some materials are now imported which make them more expensive. According to the size of cottage, and roof type, hipped or gable end, plus bedroom dormer window peaks, and your looking at £15K.

Me and Mrs CD are thinking of moving house.

We've seen a nice one - but it has a low ceiling in the living room - apparently we could get the floor scraped away. Does anyone know if this is a big job (ie approx cost) on a room approx 15X25 feet (lots of beams in the way too)?

Also it has a thatched roof. It's just had some interim work but sounds like it's half way between the 25 year overhauls - doea anyone know what they cost, roughly?

Cheers!

Call me a dum Asse if you like but I don't understand your question.

Thatching generally costs about 1&1/2 times the price of a new slate roof, but it must have a fire treatment certificate and will need retreating for fire retardents and pest proofing every few years and completely replacing every 20 years or so. I know cas we looked at thatch for our barns unless you got money to burn or its listed. Slates is the way to go.

It's already got a thatched roof.

The seller's just had some minor bits and bobs done to the thatch. But I think in 10 years it'll all need replacing - just wondered what that'd cost.

I think £10-15K sounds about right - only half the house is thatched so it might be less.

It's listed so we can't just get it tiled.

The pub my mum has just got has a thatch roof and I know the bloke she got it off was saying how much extra work needed doing for insurance purposes. Even more so because the pub has an open fire.