Newbie looking for buying advice...

Guest Jim2233

Guest Jim2233

Hello

New to the site, but im after a 300zx twin turbo and just after abit of advice really. The do's and dont's sort of thing.

I love this one and am really interested in it, but what do you guys think?

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/73964.htm

It's quite a drive so i'd like some idea of what to look for when I get there if I decide to visit...

Any help much appreciated

Jim.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Guest T-Pot

First thing i want to know, is what has been done to achieve the claimed bhp., who did, how long ago etc.

then, do a search on here for buyers guide, print it off, and take it with you, it has a check point on it of things to look for mate.

Your best option though imho would be to ask on here if anyone would be willing to come along with you and view the cars you like.

Hi Jim

Welcome to the club.

It looks nice but it'd be useful to know more.

Lots of cars for sale make big claims of big power and not all of them have it.

There's a buying guide here and I'm sure someone who knows where it is can point you in the right direction - it's very useful.

Guest Jim2233

I got an email from them over the weekend and the list just goes on and on, engine rebuilt with all uprated parts pistons etc, turbo's uprated, gearbox uprated, suspension uprated, exhaust, ecu. I dont think theres much left of the standard car by the sounds of it. They say all the work was done by a company called silvia engineering.

They say that it used to belong to a guy on here called jools who had all this done to the car over 8 years, then they've owned it for 6 years in which time it's only done 10K miles, they've had the turbo's rebuilt, gearbox rebuilt (only 2K miles ago) and had a professional full respray. Full service history from new aswell.

How does that sound? Worth £6995?

Sorry for all the questions.

Guest Z Man

I looks like a beauty!! if it has had all the claimed work done on it then i would say it is worth the money....

If you dont go for it then mine will be up for sale in a 2 months...

Guest mowgs

wasnt that for sale on here a couple of months ago? iirc it was quite a well known car a while back?

certainly remember it having quite a considerable spec.

Guest T-Pot

i'm always looking on the negative side with claims like these, and im not an expert, but with claims of all that work, i would personally expect to see a higher bhp, no need for gearbox mods with 420 odd bhp.

it looks a gorgeous car, but i would strongly suggest asking someone from here with good knowledge to look it over

Guest Jim2233

Not sure how long it's been forsale, but I do know it's been in a few magazines and video's...

They sound very reasonable and have answered every question i've had and been polite, so thats good. The only reason it's forsale aparently is that the owner is that the owner has health issues and the car is just sat under a dust sheet in the garage.

Shame such a nice car doesnt even see day light anymore!

Guest Neil Morris
Yours looks lovely but I really had my heart set on this one + it's red which is the fastest colour!! :)

No it's not the Black ones with blue flip paint are faster.......& this one is only 7.5K.....

Welcome to the forum M8. Hope you get on with the red one ok as I think you have paid for it in your head anyway.... :duffer:

Guest Jim2233
i'm always looking on the negative side with claims like these, and im not an expert, but with claims of all that work, i would personally expect to see a higher bhp, no need for gearbox mods with 420 odd bhp.

it looks a gorgeous car, but i would strongly suggest asking someone from here with good knowledge to look it over

Not sure wether it's FWHP or RWHP I didnt ask, but aparently it's only been run at 15-17psi, for a more friendlier drive and more reliability?

Oh it's got race logic traction control fitted aswell.... Which I will definately need! :dance:

Guest Z Man

i think i saw it on ebay a few months back... it had no bids on it at about 4500, reserve not met.... you might be able to knock them down a bit??

I would definatly agree about getting it checked out by someone who knows, but if the claims are true you could be in for a bargin...

Its a good time to buy a ZX the prices have really bottomed out... good luck

Guest Jim2233
No it's not the Black ones with blue flip paint are faster.......& this one is only 7.5K.....

Welcome to the forum M8. Hope you get on with the red one ok as I think you have paid for it in your head anyway.... :duffer:

Yeah, just trying to source some funds now! Minds going a mile a minute... (mental image of a hamster on a wheel springs to mind!) :)

Guest lets drift
Yeah, just trying to source some funds now! Minds going a mile a minute... (mental image of a hamster on a wheel springs to mind!) :)

Hello and a big welcome mate.

LOL, I remeber that feeling too only bought mine less than 4 weeks ago. Take it for a test drive and if possible do the same with another and compare. Oh and the advice on the 'What to look' for list is very helpfull, also if you have the time read up as much as possible about the car ie Techincal Manual. That's what I did it helped no end.

And keep asking questions, the guys on here are very good at fielding them and are generally very helpful.

Best of luck getting just the Zed you want.

Guest Captain Slow

I too have just purchased a zed. The buyers guide is very good, but you will know when you look at the car if its the one for you.

Guest Jim2233

Just been speaking to them and it's currently has less than one month left on the MOT but they informed me whoever buys the car it will come with a new 12 month certificate. Sounding better by the minute! (not trying to sound like i've got my hopes up too much!! LOL)

hmmmm funny cos i cant find the thread either?? rom what i remember it is a well known car and has had all the work don on it but its a zed so always a chance lol

i dont live a massive amount of distance away if you wanted someone to check it out?

Mike

If thats at the wheels (which a precise figure like 428bhp would suggest) then thats is about 520bhp at the crank and consistant with most other people I know on here who's cars are of the same kind of spec. ie, Chris C, Paul Smith and mine. + Uprating the third and forth gear clusters with that spec is inevitable sooner or later. So if it genuine then its a very good value for money buy and should out last a tired standard car.