first stupid question.

Guest valheru

Guest valheru

Hey everyone. I've been doing alot of reading about 300ZX's and alot of people say that they have overheating problems. Naturally I've read the FAQ's and so on. One mechanic I talked to said they dont overheat too much but are a pain in the ass to work on because of lack of room etc. I was just wondering what you have experienced in your cars? Are they hard to work on? Have you overheated? The cars are reasonably cheap here (australia) and thats because of the image of them being overheating/hard to work on pains. . .any advice or help you can offer would be most helpfull.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

They are reasonbly hard to work on due to limited room in the engine bay but with the help of members on this forum and manuals etc you get to grips with it pretty quick.

My Z has never over heated but it does get very warm under there and I was looking at a vented bonnet, but as I have never experienced any problems no point yet. HTH P.s don't drop any tools into the engine you are likely to loose them. LOL

They are reasonbly hard to work on due to limited room in the engine bay but with the help of members on this forum and manuals etc you get to grips with it pretty quick.

My Z has never over heated but it does get very warm under there and I was looking at a vented bonnet, but as I have never experienced any problems no point yet. HTH P.s don't drop any tools into the engine you are likely to loose them. LOL

What sort of temperatures do you get?

My water temp normally goes no higher than 80 - 90oc and my oil temperature is about the same. The max the oil temp has gone is 105oc! Is this about right?

Guest valheru

one thing I need to remember is that a "cool" day here is around 25 degrees celcius (around 77 degrees F) and a hot day can get to 42 degrees (around 110 degrees F). . .

i wouldnt say that these engine suffer from cooling problems, have an inadequate cooling system or otherwise.

yes these engines die from over heating, but all engines would.

one of the main problems are, that there are so many small water hoses for turbo coolant etc that after 15yrs, they perrish and burst..leading to rapid coolant loss. as the engine is so big and the gauge is so slow to react to the change in temp, the first the driver knows about it,is that the engines knackered.

as for your ambient temps is aus, as long as the ambient is less than 80-90degC then the radiator will cope with the cooling, although the intercoolers may struggle.

there is a very large (engine driven)viscus fan AND an electric fan for the engine and A/C rad, for when in traffic or engine temps are VERY high.

hope this helps

Fraser

Get yourself some defi guages for water and oil temp, they are very accurate and shows how crap the 300's standard temp guages really are.

Mine normally peaks at 80c but no more than 85c for water temp regardless of outside air temperature and about 80c for oil temperature.

I have a vented front panel, and I'm thinking about venting the back of the hood to allow heat to escape as it does get bloody hot under the hood.

Get yourself some defi guages for water and oil temp, they are very accurate and shows how crap the 300's standard temp guages really are.

Mine normally peaks at 80c but no more than 85c for water temp regardless of outside air temperature and about 80c for oil temperature.

I have a vented front panel, and I'm thinking about venting the back of the hood to allow heat to escape as it does get bloody hot under the hood.

I have defi guages. They are the dogs danglys :bow: