Cooling Mods

Just wondering what else I can do to keep the temp on our heat prone 300ZX down. So what I'm looking for is a nice list of things to do to help keep engine bay temp at a reasonable level. I've already got a koyo rad installed but is there any special coolant products that any one can recommend? Or just the normal stuff is ok? Would I gain anything from getting a 1.3 rad cap rather then keeping the 1.2 rad cap?

On the subject of cooling my autobox already has an extra cooling rad for it which looks simlair to what Chris sells. Though it's doing it's job and my autobox oil is a nice red colour and not black and burnt I can't help but feel that it could do with an even bigger rad as around the gear knob it gets quite hot to the point where it burns my finger if I leave it there (this only happens after a long drive). Is this even normal?!?!?!

I've noticed that when the car is warmed up there is quite a bit of heat from the wings. I take it this is because the heat is getting pushed to the side? I'm guessing vented wings would be some help to removing the heat from the engine? Or would it just help with cooling the braking system only? Also with vented bonnets, errrmmm how the hell do you keep the rain out!?

Sorry for the number of questions, I just wanna make sure my baby gets the cooling it needs before I go for any major power hike.

IMHO the best ever cooling mod you can do on the zed is to clear out all the flashing in the block along the water ways.

You wouldnt believe how much will be in there and how much it restricts the water flow!!

then just the usual, uprated intercooler and rad

Mike

If your going to put a 1.3 rad cap on then it would be a good idea to replace all the rubber water hoses as any weekness may show up if you increase the pressure (its a good idea to replace them anyway if you havnt already done so) Also get an alloy lower radiator pipe as "During sustained high speed driving, the long and soft stock Lower Radiator Hose has a tendency to collapse and cause cooling problems."

Water wetter can bring down your water temperature as well.

IMHO the best ever cooling mod you can do on the zed is to clear out all the flashing in the block along the water ways.

You wouldnt believe how much will be in there and how much it restricts the water flow!!

then just the usual, uprated intercooler and rad

Mike

That isnt a engine out job is it? Not really too sure how to go about it. I've already done the intercooler and rad so just looking at other ways to keep the temp down as much as poss.

If your going to put a 1.3 rad cap on then it would be a good idea to replace all the rubber water hoses as any weekness may show up if you increase the pressure (its a good idea to replace them anyway if you havnt already done so) Also get an alloy lower radiator pipe as "During sustained high speed driving, the long and soft stock Lower Radiator Hose has a tendency to collapse and cause cooling problems."

Water wetter can bring down your water temperature as well.

I'm planning to replace all hoses while I'm there but holding out as I need new turbo hoses first. But I'll go look into this water wetter stuff!

remove the A/C the condesor rad sits behind the cooling rad,so removing this will get better airflow to your cooling rad,keeping temps down and also shedding a bit of weight,via removing pipework,cannnister,condesor,A/C pump

IMO i would also go SMIC rather than FMIC again restricting more flow to the cooling radiator,and side mounts are easier to fit,and IMO is a better design on a v engine.

water wetter again has been proven to keeping temps down on the cooling systym,available from demon tweeks,and millers also do a good inhibitor

if your removing the engine at any point as kirbz said cleaning all the water channels on the block is a good idea,especially on an engine that has seen very little coolant in its life :rolleyes:

plenum bypass this will then rule out the chance of leaks under the plenum that can go un-noticed!its a much more reliable way of feeding the turbos coolant and making the over complicated vg30 more managable in the future!

other than that make sure the coolant is correct and check daily,also carry out a 60k service including thermostat,short hoses,water pump etc

keep a check of your viscous fan,if overheating in traffic,check the viscosity of the fan when cold it should have some resistance when cold if it spins freely then it may need replacing

prevention is sometimes better than adding a remedy

HTH

I have wired in my aux fan to a switch inside, use it whenever i want the aircon on and im parked up in traffic or when the temp starts to climb due to heavy driving, getting one of the nose panels with the two large letterbox scoops will help especially if you add some slam panels as well, a bumper with larger openings than standard will flow more air through as well.