Classic Insurance

Hi all,

Just wanted to know what happens if you exceed the limited mileage on your classic insurance. I went to renew my insurance this morning (which ends on the 20th) and I gave the current mileage. He told me I have done 3300 miles on a 3k policy and if I wanted to renew I would have to go to a 5k mile policy. I told him I'd get back to him. Then, just my luck someone goes into the back of my Z this afternoon. The guy was fine about it as it was a company car on lease but am I actually insured as I've gone past 3k miles?????????

Cheers

Vijay

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Guest Neil Morris

Sorry to here that. I don't know if the insurance would pay up if you went over the 3K

I think they try hard not to pay out. how much did you pay for the clasic insurance. I am thinking of doing that next year.

Oooo, Vijay, tricky one!-technically you ain't insured bud-especially now you told em' you went over the agreed mileage!

If the guy who hit you is o.k. see if he'll settle cash??-as I think once the insurance co' get involved your up sh!t creek-good luck matey! ;)

I have classic insurance with Carole Nash, they do 3, 5 or 6k miles per year.

When I took out the policy last year I could have chosen either limit as it was only an estimate of how many miles I would drive in the ZX. The chap told me if I picked a lower limit but exceeded it, I would have to pay an additional premium at renewal time. But their higher limit is 6k p/a after which I would not be insured.

So if I went for, say, a 3k miles p/a policy but actually drove 4k miles they would charge me for a 5k miles p/a policy at renewal and cover for the earlier year would not be affected.

HTH

Richard :smw:

PS Sorry to hear about your accident mate :(

I have something to say............ It's better to burn out than to fade away..... :tt2:

Hi Richard,

That makes sense as the guy this morning said they would only insure me on a 5k a year policy for renewal. I did notice on my documents that the insurnace is invalid if the agreed mileage is exceeded :( I just hope I get someone who wants to help me out on the phone tomorrow.

Vijay

bad news mate and you proberley dont want anymore at this time but this happend to mate work college and they wouldnt pay out and he lost his insurance because he was 180 miles over the agreed limit and they void him..

sorry bud , hope it doesnt come to this.

Sorry Ian, i said the question wrong, what i meant was........whats the minimum age for the driver before he can have classic car insurance?

Im 23 now, can i get classic car insurance for a heavily modified car or not?

Fas

Hi Fas,

Depends on the broker/insurer really.

Some will insure you on a classic policy, others will not unless you are over 25. Either way you will most definately need to run an everyday car as well.

Richard :smw:

I have something to say............ It's better to burn out than to fade away..... :tt2:

Just rang Carole Nash to renew my zx insurance - £270 - and mentioned the mileage.

Basically I agreed to 5000 per annum last year but the policy says anything over 6000 will void the insurance. Anyway I told them I did around 5700 miles last year but I don't believe I would exceed 5k this time.

The nice girl on the phone said "Don't worry about it - no extra cost" :hyper:

Excellent!

Richard :D