Changing the Thermostat on a N/A

I am going to fit a new thermostat as I think mine is knackered as taking a long time to heat up, I have searched the twin turbo net forum, but the instructions I found where for a T/T and not very clear, can any of you guys point out a better diagram and step by step instructions. Many Thanks.

Its the same as a TT bud ecept you only have 2 intake pipes instead of having intercooler pipes,and the radiator is the differant but majority of pipework is the same

jack up car place on axle stands

remove radiator brackets which secures the radiator on an NA remove lower undertray if it is still present hold tray underneath and drain coolant/fluid

remove lower fan shroud which just unclips!

remove upper hose to radiator 2x10mm bolts and undo the long hose which is attached to the top alloy pipe

remove overflow pipe from centre of rad

remove both intake pipes to throttle bodies 4 jubilee clips

lift out radiator

remove viscous fan 4x10mm bolts or 4x10mm nuts if you remove from pulley wheel on water pump dependent on which way you prefer

now look at bottom alloy pipe remove x2 12mm nuts and 1 allen bolt using a long reach allen key and a 1/4"drive extension bar for ease to undo bolt

now its ready to come off!using a rubber mallet tap metal pipe until it loosens remove alloy pipe now with tray still underneath twist thermostat to the right and it will just come out!

replace with new thermostat making sure the TOP is at the TOP replace alloy pipe using some instant auto gasket sealent making a nice bead all around]tighten all bolts and nut to a tight seal and refit all the same in reverse

once finished add approx 2ltrs of antifreeze 2ltrs of water 50-50ratio turn heating inside car to 40 high whilst car running top up until required amount is reached if heat comes out inside cabin then not only the thermostat is working corectly but also it means the water has made its way around the systym and heat is produced from the matrix

sounds long winded but its easy just get stuck in,once you start dismantling then you have no way back so you have to finish always worked for me :D

TT thermostats are suitable for NA

Its the same as a TT bud ecept you only have 2 intake pipes instead of having intercooler pipes,and the radiator is the differant but majority of pipework is the same

jack up car place on axle stands

remove radiator brackets which secures the radiator on an NA remove lower undertray if it is still present hold tray underneath and drain coolant/fluid

remove lower fan shroud which just unclips!

remove upper hose to radiator 2x10mm bolts and undo the long hose which is attached to the top alloy pipe

remove overflow pipe from centre of rad

remove both intake pipes to throttle bodies 4 jubilee clips

lift out radiator

remove viscous fan 4x10mm bolts or 4x10mm nuts if you remove from pulley wheel on water pump dependent on which way you prefer

now look at bottom alloy pipe remove x2 12mm nuts and 1 allen bolt using a long reach allen key and a 1/4"drive extension bar for ease to undo bolt

now its ready to come off!using a rubber mallet tap metal pipe until it loosens remove alloy pipe now with tray still underneath twist thermostat to the right and it will just come out!

replace with new thermostat making sure the TOP is at the TOP replace alloy pipe using some instant auto gasket sealent making a nice bead all around]tighten all bolts and nut to a tight seal and refit all the same in reverse

once finished add approx 2ltrs of antifreeze 2ltrs of water 50-50ratio turn heating inside car to 40 high whilst car running top up until required amount is reached if heat comes out inside cabin then not only the thermostat is working corectly but also it means the water has made its way around the systym and heat is produced from the matrix

sounds long winded but its easy just get stuck in,once you start dismantling then you have no way back so you have to finish always worked for me :D

TT thermostats are suitable for NA

Cheers Bud. ;)