300zx tt gearbox problem *newbie*

Guest chris_davie

Guest chris_davie

Hi guys, I'm thinking of buying a 300zx twin turbo auto over the next few days, but there seems to be a problem with the gearbox, I seen the car in ebay and it looked really nice, but i didnt make the reserve, now i have got an email from the seller saying...

"it has a fault with gears . it can drive up to 60mph it just wont change out of 3rd gear when going up . it is either 1 of 2 problems that i dont have time for its either the changing sesor mechanism is dirty which is 40 pounds or its not building enough pressure to change which will cost 265 pounds if you want it thanks you can come see it if you want"

Is this a common problem with the 300zx auto box or is it a big problem that would run into big cost for me? I really like the car and it has some nice parts on it, i just dont want my first 300zx to cost me thousands in repair bills before i even get to drive it!

Thanks in advance for any help or tips guys, great forum btw and i hope to be spending more time here if i get the 300 :D

Hi guys, I'm thinking of buying a 300zx twin turbo auto over the next few days, but there seems to be a problem with the gearbox, I seen the car in ebay and it looked really nice, but i didnt make the reserve, now i have got an email from the seller saying...

"it has a fault with gears . it can drive up to 60mph it just wont change out of 3rd gear when going up . it is either 1 of 2 problems that i dont have time for its either the changing sesor mechanism is dirty which is 40 pounds or its not building enough pressure to change which will cost 265 pounds if you want it thanks you can come see it if you want"

Is this a common problem with the 300zx auto box or is it a big problem that would run into big cost for me? I really like the car and it has some nice parts on it, i just dont want my first 300zx to cost me thousands in repair bills before i even get to drive it!

Thanks in advance for any help or tips guys, great forum btw and i hope to be spending more time here if i get the 300 :D

More than likely the 3rd/4th Brake band or clutch packs (most common)

Look for another Zed or get the guy to knock off £600-£1000 as if you take it to a Garage thats what it will cost for a Rebuild.

Guest Scottywil

Dont take a gamble with zeds. It could end up costing you thousands. Make sure you buy a minter, that way you wont have anything to worry about.

Guest chris_davie

Cheers for the reply's guys. im pretty sure i would be getting a good deal if i had the cash to chuck at it (he wants 2.3k for it), but as it is i dont really think i can afford to take the risk with it. Its a tuned car too so who knows what else might be wrong with it.

Chris