advice on a dodgy speedo HELP!!!

Guest rob1000

Guest rob1000

Hi everyone.

Can anyone please tell me where the speed sensor is,the speedo works most of the time and then packs up for a day or two.With plod getting a bit hot where i live it would help if i know what speed i am doing.

many thanks. :headvswal

Hi everyone.

Can anyone please tell me where the speed sensor is,the speedo works most of the time and then packs up for a day or two.With plod getting a bit hot where i live it would help if i know what speed i am doing.

many thanks. :headvswal

If your car is jap spec and has a speed convertor on the clocks, it is best to remove thet first. A new speed sensor if its manual is 140quid!!

The reason I say this is I had the same problem and i chased it for

weeks. I damaged the speed sensor as I tightend the retaining bolt

too tight and it put the sensor out of alinement. I had to borrow

a sensor and put that in, the fault continued!! I removed the convertor

fron the speedo circuit and hay presto its all ok :headvswal (and the pas and

hycas works corretly)

Except its in kph untill i can get a new converter

Best of luck

Allan

If your car is jap spec and has a speed convertor on the clocks, it is best to remove thet first. A new speed sensor if its manual is 140quid!!

The reason I say this is I had the same problem and i chased it for

weeks. I damaged the speed sensor as I tightend the retaining bolt

too tight and it put the sensor out of alinement. I had to borrow

a sensor and put that in, the fault continued!! I removed the convertor

fron the speedo circuit and hay presto its all ok :headvswal (and the pas and

hycas works corretly)

Except its in kph untill i can get a new converter

Best of luck

Allan

hate to say this got a new speed convertor and guess what it is still the same put it back to kph and cured it for a day now it is back the same speed sensor next

Guest johndps

I'm on my 2nd converter as well - still got the same fault as the old one - speedo goes to x mph and then stutters for a second then goes to zero.

I'm taking my converter out and leaving the clocks alone - kmph for me.

I had the same problem - except I could rule out a convertor as it didnt have one. Sometimes the circuit board on the back of the speedo dial gets loose connections - I took mine apart and resolcered every joint - fixed it up nicely. Its free so worth doing before shelling out money.

Guest John Helps

hi John

Yeah after converting 3 imports with varying success rates I am tempted to leave mine in KPH

What happens to the Zeds speedo if you go over 120 mph (on private roads & assuming your deregged) or cant you go over 112 mph without a converter ???

Sems to me that the ECUs / Hicas requirements come first here.

I'm on my 2nd converter as well - still got the same fault as the old one - speedo goes to x mph and then stutters for a second then goes to zero.

I'm taking my converter out and leaving the clocks alone - kmph for me.

I'm havin probs with my jap import... its not been de restricted or converted, all the previous owner has done is change the dial face so its in mph (goes up to 120mph)... but sometimes the needle moves & sometimes not and its slow to respond when it does move. after reading through the posts on here I assume the guy has damaged the needle or its catching on something... so first job is get the cover/cowl off & have a look right? Any suggestions from experience would be appreciated. Thanks.

Guest johndps

John- car is back to standard spec - still restricted.

Since January, when I bought the car, I have never bounced her off the limiter, so thought, what's the point in de-restricting? I don't drive that quick.

I am now selling the car and this is probably going to be a plus point.

"yes Guv, still restricted to 120mph or there abouts, car has never been driven quicker than that". yup that'll sell her. :)

DeeJ - What can happen is that the cheap plastic which faceplates are made of can warp with the heat from the clock bulbs. This warping can catch the back of the needle.

Had this on a Pajero once - swapped the faceplate and all was well.

BUT - my understanding of the Z is that getting the needle off the clock can be dangerous as they do not pull off easily.

I read a while back that Luke at the Z centre can do this safely.

Might be worth having a word with him.

Or perhaps time to upgrade to coloured dials?