Rover 220 turbo

Guest NightWolf

Guest NightWolf

Has anybody had a go against one of these? My brothers mate reckons his 220 is going to keep up with the bro's RX7 TT, I cant see this somehow but does anyone know any different?:dance:

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I can say is MUWAHAHAHAHA, not gonna happen - just check the specs, the Rex should hit 60 1.5secs faster.

It has shit loads more power & weighs less, obviously he's talking crap.

Jay

a mate of mine had one slightly tuned

a standard nissan 200 s14 would kick its @ss

a rx7 tt should have no problems

get your brov to put some money on it (ill have a oner)

rover the only nice thing they make is biscuits

steve

Would put money on it staying with the rx7 in a straight line on a dry road. My 800 vitesse sport has the same engine and mines about 210bhp with a big zorst. 60 in 6 with the 200 and about the same as a stock auto tt zed to the ton. If the rx's rotor seals are on the way out it'll be toasted!

Easy to up the boost on the rover to give 265bhp but stock pistons melt after that. There's some with forged ones and 18psi boost hitting over 300bhp from a rover 2 litre!

Bet my old 800 would embarras a stock na zed. too Done 90 k in it and its still brill. Same garret turbo as well and original clutch! Saves me wasting my tt on the fog and greasy roads.

Guest NightWolf

my brother is replacing the tips etc so no problems there:D I told him there was no point having a super car if a grandad mobile is just as quick:confused:

Originally posted by WillieO

I like my grandadmobile and my zed. Love wiping out bmws with the grandadmobile in a straight line anyway!

I with ya on that!! Z is superb but people expect it to be fast. However my 827 V6 looks llike a grandad car, yet goes like stink. Embarasses hell outta people who arent expecting it, which is nice!! And it cost me next to nowt to run unlike the Z!!!!

Nick

:cool:

I pretend to work, they pretend to pay me!

Guest MGTurbo
Originally posted by stevo

AND SO SAY ALL OF US

(I HATE ROVERS)

STEVE

That's fine, but at least we don't drive a Datsun that pretends to be a Ferrari neener.gif

Guest MGTurbo

Don't be so ignorant. Name one car with an MG badge that can do a quarter mile in 12.2 seconds and be the fastest road going FWD car in its class for the past 4 years running??? And beleive me, i'd like to be there and watch you up against it and get pissed all over by a mere grandad's car, would be pure bliss :D

what on earth are you talking about??

have a look on the for sale

theres a few z on there you could buy.

if z are datsun ferrari wanttobes.y are you wasting your sunday morning on here

o ya who wants a front wheel drive car

learn to drive ,buy something with the power at the right end..

Guest MGTurbo

I'm here making my point because :

A: You think Rover's are slow, and crap

& B: You think you drive the fastest thing on four wheels.

And C: I'm trying to waste time before i go out Christmas shopping :(

Points A and B are wrong, you need to open your eyes a little more and see that. Don't for one second think i'm dissing 300Zx's, far from it, i've had experience of driving a 350bhp example, but it was not my cup of tea. Just because a car is rear-wheel drive doesn't make it a must have because you can get the arse out every roundabout. Just my two pence.

Hey MGTurbo,

I've seen that too, a Maestro, wasn't it?

Yes, it was damn fast. And if I rembember the Maestro Turbo was pretty quick in standard form. It was the fastest hot hatch for brief time during the 1980s, until the Astra GTE 16v came along.

Still, the Metro, Maestro and Montego were spawn from the old Austin-Rover days when there looks and build quality were only just better than the Allegro they replaced;)

Also, the Zed in standard form is a formidable beast (14.4 sec 1/4s) and many lesser cars need to be modified beyond belief to match its performance. A highly tuned Zed, like some members have here, will smash the 12.2 achieved by that MG.

As for the Ferrari comparison, why not? Coupes will always look better than saloons and hatch-backs. Also it's a good thing that mainstream manufacturers build such cars (ZX, Supra, 3000GTO, RX7 etc) that canmatch Ferrari etc for looks and performance at a reasonable cost.

Richard:)

I have something to say............ It's better to burn out than to fade away..... :tt2:

Guest MGTurbo

Some good points there that i agree with. Now to compare a Rover/MG with a 300Zx is quite silly, for what it's worth, and for all intents and purpose, the 300Zx is technically in the super-car league. The only MG that i can think of that fits into the same class is the new MG X-Power SV.

I don't doubt there are some sub-12 second cars out there, if there wasn't i'd be wondering why ;) but you have to admit, 12.2 on a FWD car with road legal tyres is an acheivement.. Imagine if some decent grip could be obtained (best 60ft 2.1 IIRC) this would be a 11 second car :D

And it's not just a Maestro that's int he 12's, the same chap now has a 220 Gti Turbo and has run a 12.6. In fact, most of the 280-300bhp Rover's are doing early to mid-13's with ease. Once rolling, they would be a very hard car to beat...

But back to the main point I think. ;)

A Rover turbo would not stand a chance against an RX-7 TT, for a few reasons

1, RX-7 is lighter

2, RX-7 is more powerful,

3, RX-7 is rear wheel drive.

For Front wheel drive cars, really anything over 170bhp is too much. When you reach that power the front wheels spin too easily under hard acceleration.

Stuart

P.S.

I dont know why you are calling the Datsun name. It was MG who owned Datsun after WWII.

Guest Rover Steve

Hello :D

So what ARE the specs of the RX7 then? all i see is people wittering on about something when i see no stats to go on. That is a pretty poor argument IMO. My car's only got breathing mods and running 11psi, i last ran at santa pod and got 14.4s @98mph, not bad for a Rover ;) And TBH, i've not seen a 'grandad' drive the sportier models of the 200's. Seems to be that some have their facts a little out.

Steve