Rollcall: Auto/Manual?

What's ya transmission?  

116 members have voted

1. 1. What's ya transmission?

• Auto
    • Manual.
    • Auto, but now manual.

Originally posted by 300z

LMFFAO the reason its not there is because its never been done, never will be done, and is just so ridiculous to contemplate, its not possible to type it out without laughing yourself to death :D:D:D

Harsh but fair, Waz, Harsh but fair .... :D :D (LMAO)

Manwell, of course! :D :D :D

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest x-biker

To the manual boys (and girls):-

Do you tell the injectors how much and when to squirt fuel into the cylinders?

Do you tell each of your spark plugs when to fire?

Do you actuate the wastegate yourself?

Do you tell the HICAS rear wheels how much to turn?

No?

Why, coz the computer is better at doing it?

Now go away and play wiv yer nobz:D

(ducks behind office chair)

Guest 300z
Originally posted by x-biker

No?

Let me guess, Auto drivers do all this>? No wonder they are so slow in responce and speed :D:D

Originally posted by Dave Marley

Are you sure? No-one's ever had a fast road box upgrade done on their auto? :p

Bwahahahahahahaha That's what I was thinking Dave:confused: :confused: :confused:

No?

Why, coz the computer is better at doing it?

Now go away and play wiv yer nobz:D

(ducks behind office chair)

fortunatly for us "manual boys", yes , all the things you listed the computers are better than us at controlling.

unfortuanatly there are some things computers are shite at, changing gears being one of them!!! :D :p

Guest 300z
Originally posted by Dave Marley

Are you sure? No-one's ever had a fast road box upgrade done on their auto? :p

Oi dont change my original quote "LMFFAO the reason no "MANUAL TO AUTO CONVERSION"is there on the list is because its never been done, never will be done, and is just so ridiculous to contemplate, its not possible to type it out without laughing yourself to death "

Or was it your AUTOBOX selecting the wrong slush gear by accident :D:D

Guest Nelson MainFella

Oi dont change my original quote "LMFFAO the reason no "MANUAL TO AUTO CONVERSION"is there on the list is because its never been done, never will be done, and is just so ridiculous to contemplate, its not possible to type it out without laughing yourself to death "

It's called evolution - you don't change to a lesser technology when you've got something neat and progressive :D :D

LOL now you have lost the plot warren:D

This is what Dave was on about:rolleyes:

Nelson MainFella

shudda hadd an option for fast road box auto like Maccas - by all accounts it's awesome

Nelson Mad Fella was asking where is the fast road box choice:D

Guest 300z
Originally posted by Nelson MainFella

It's called evolution - you don't change to a lesser technology when you've got something neat and progressive :D :D

Progressive? LMFFAO so add another 50 kgs - LOSE about another 15% BHP through drivetrain loss and you call that progressive? :D lol

Guest Dave Marley

Oi dont change my original quote

I think we all know who changed their original quote!

"Last edited by 300z on 01-05-2003 at 17:07"

:D

Guest x-biker
Originally posted by Paul C

unfortuanatly there are some things computers are shite at, changing gears being one of them!!! :D :p

I seem to remember the F-1 techies wanting fully auto transmissions in the cars. The only reason it has not been done is because it's seen as a driver aid and they are trying to get rid of those. So if an auto can aid or improve the performance of an F-1 driver, then you manual boys must be REALLY good...........:rolleyes:

Guest 300z

I seem to remember the F-1 techies wanting fully auto transmissions in the cars. The only reason it has not been done is because it's seen as a driver aid and they are trying to get rid of those. So if an auto can aid or improve the performance of an F-1 driver, then you manual boys must be REALLY good...........:rolleyes:

LMFFAO bwhahahahahahaha dude do a read up on F1 gearboxes - its a compleetly different concept to a road AUTO - They are not remotely the same thing.

Are you seriously comparing the auto box you have to the latest F1 technology?!?!? :rolleyes:

& are you sure there not just based on an auto shifting sequential type box? (no really! not taking the piss, i havnt seen any details so not trying to imply anything here)

UK TT Manual for me...

I like being in control of my car, so I sought out a manual gearbox version.

This is one reason why I don't think I could ever get along with an auto. Do you auto guys ever get suprised by your box once in a while changing gear when you did not expect it? Just a question, would like to know honest answers to that one.

Also, I dislike the idea of it's mechanical inefficiency. What are the drivetrain losses for auto 'boxes? Maybe 20% or more? I dunno, this is just a guess.

Synchromesh manual gearboxes are still RELATIVELY inefficient at 15%~20% (guess) than a straight cut dog engagement box, which if lubricated with a spray/mist (not soaked in oil like std manual boxes) can achieve UNDER 5% drivetrain losses.

Now that is a nice chunk of extra power that will reach the wheels, oh, and while you are at it, go for the sequential flat-change shift option.......:cool:

Now where is that spare £6,000....LOL...... :D :D :D :D

Robert.

I see Pete's opened one of those can of worms threads here!!

Never wise mentioning the word auto and manual in the same sentence.

Ooops I just did:rolleyes:

Im auto, would like to be manual, but then id have to but clutches and tyres all the time and i couldnt have a cool gearknob if i was manual.

Razo_shifter_on_300zx.JPG

Guest andyduff

I'd like to know something please miss!!!

IF these autoboxes are sooo clever, then why do you need to tell it to use hold, sport or whatever??? :D Can't be THAT clever can they!!! :p And the SE fast road job... hmmm.... where do I start... how much does it cost??? I'll use that money to buy myself a nice RPS Carbon-Carbon clutch and flywheel for 600Nm torque holding and a nice long life... Macca when your box is ****ed let me know I'll give you a lift to billing :D:D:D

Guest Nelson MainFella

LMFFAO bwhahahahahahaha dude do a read up on F1 gearboxes - its a compleetly different concept to a road AUTO - They are not remotely the same thing.

you mean autos use planetary gearsets but F1 cars use manual boxes with semi-automatic control ?

Guest Eric Manktelow

At least us Auto boys don't need to keep moving our left leg spasmodicaly in traffic, up...down...up...down...up...down...up...down...up...down...up...down...up...down...up...down...up...down.

Our left foot rests comfortably on the foot rest and we enjoy a relaxed and elegant journey when all the manwell drivers around us are getting pissed off with just getting the biting point only to have to dip the clutch again cos they are stuck in a traffic jam...

Oh wait, there's never any traffic jams in the UK are there...

All UK roads are open, sweeping fast roads that allow you to expolit that wonderful clutch and gear stick and feel like you're really driving.

:P

Guest 300z
Originally posted by Nelson MainFella

you mean autos use planetary gearsets but F1 cars use manual boxes with semi-automatic control ?

yup its a manaul box with software really, same as allt he Le Mans cars.

Top flight drag cars dont use autoboxes as such (you still choose the shift point?) and the Tyres change the gearing as they expand and deflate no?

At the end of the day Autoboxes were designed for people in retirment :D I know when i turn maby like85 or soemthing ill probably not want to chnage gears for myself :D

Originally posted by andyduff

I'd like to know something please miss!!!

IF these autoboxes are sooo clever, then why do you need to tell it to use hold, sport or whatever??? :D Can't be THAT clever can they!!! :p And the SE fast road job... hmmm.... where do I start... how much does it cost??? I'll use that money to buy myself a nice RPS Carbon-Carbon clutch and flywheel for 600Nm torque holding and a nice long life... Macca when your box is ****ed let me know I'll give you a lift to billing :D:D:D

Thank's for the offer but NO WAY am I going to Billing in a wedding car with brown skid marks on it:D

+ I will need 4 pair of boots running down the M1:p:p:p;)

Guest 300z
Originally posted by Eric Manktelow

At least us Auto boys don't need to keep moving our left leg spasmodicaly in traffic, up...down...up...down...up...down...up...down...up...down...up...down...up...down...up...down...up...down.

Our left foot rests comfortably on the foot rest and we enjoy a relaxed and elegant journey when all the manwell drivers around us are getting pissed off with just getting the biting point only to have to dip the clutch again cos they are stuck in a traffic jam...

Oh wait, there's never any traffic jams in the UK are there...

All UK roads are open, sweeping fast roads that allow you to expolit that wonderful clutch and gear stick and feel like you're really driving.

:P

LMFFAO now theres a case for becomming a pie boy :D:D

The next poll should be body mass index of Auto drivers to Manual ones bwhahahahahaha

Guest AdamR
Originally posted by Bilky

BLOODY HELL!

If you like your auto then enjoy it.

If you like your manual then enjoy it.

NOW SHUT THE HELL UP!

You took the words right outta my mouth bud!:D

Guest Dave Marley
Originally posted by Bilky

BLOODY HELL!

If you like your auto then enjoy it.

If you like your manual then enjoy it.