Auto to Manual Conversion

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Quite a bit, a new manual box can be bought from the states for $2100 (https://conceptzperformance.com/nissan-infiniti-nissan-oem-98-spec-manual-transmission-assembly-nissan-300zx-twin-turbo-tt-z32-32010-54p21-kt_p_813.php) + Shipping + VAT + import tax.

Then you will need all the extra bits such as clutch, flywheel, booters, pedal, ecu, etc. The labour is expensive as its an engine out job and its not the easiest job to pull the engine. On top of that there is a certain amount of electrical work as well. My first ever 300zx was a converted auto and when I started it or floored it, the power light on the dash came on. The power light is an auto thing, so whoever did the conversion didn't do the whole conversion. Guides can be found all over the internet. I would have a good read through many to get an idea what it entails.

As for other boxes (I looked into this) the 350Z does fit, but its much weaker than a z32 box and are known to fail. Also the gear ratio (it has 6 gears) and the fact it was designed for an NA engine means that you may not get the full power/experience from your z32. 

https://forums.nicoclub.com/350z-6spd-trans-in-a-tt-z32-t475070.html

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/39874-transmission-weak-point.html

All in all it depends on your budget. I personally, for my car wouldn't turn down a reasonably priced low-ish mileage series 1 box or buy a new series 2 box. I wouldn't go for a weaker box from a different car. Remember Nissan over-engineered the Z32 in most respects, thats why people can get 600+ BHP from stock internals and in one case over 1000BHP (Check out Netflix series "Fastest Car" Season 2, episode 6 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fastest_Car#Season_2_(2019) If memory serves, the owner only put massive turbos in it to get over 1000+, but the internals were all the same.) So changing out parts for lesser quality/lesser designed parts may not be a cost effective solution. Think "Buy best once, Buy cheap many times."

• Like 1

1990 Black MT NA LWB = 2014 - 2020 (Sold)

1991 Red MT TT LWB = 2015 - 2017 (Stripped & Scrapped)

1991 Red MT TT LWB = 2017 - 2021 (Sold)

1991 Black MT TT LWB = 2018 - 2021 (Sold)

1989 Red AT TT LWB = 2021 - XXXX (Kept)

I've seen 2 "full" sets of second hand parts for a manual conversion on the FB sales pages this past week. Both up for over £2k. I can't remember if they both had the looms with them as well, but they looked complete otherwise. 

Paul Clements at Banzai Breakers has a full conversion kit almost ready to go. If you message him you might get in first. Again it'll be over £2k though without shipping. 

Remember that there are slight differences between an NA and TT manual box. But they can be made to fit. 

There's a heap of very in depth guides available across the Web. 

• Like 1

Zed #2: 1998 Midnight Purple 2+2 NA. (owned 2020 - now) 

Zed #1: 1995 Blue Slicktop NA (2013-2015)

Quite a bit, a new manual box can be bought from the states for $2100 (https://conceptzperformance.com/nissan-infiniti-nissan-oem-98-spec-manual-transmission-assembly-nissan-300zx-twin-turbo-tt-z32-32010-54p21-kt_p_813.php) + Shipping + VAT + import tax.
Then you will need all the extra bits such as clutch, flywheel, booters, pedal, ecu, etc. The labour is expensive as its an engine out job and its not the easiest job to pull the engine. On top of that there is a certain amount of electrical work as well. My first ever 300zx was a converted auto and when I started it or floored it, the power light on the dash came on. The power light is an auto thing, so whoever did the conversion didn't do the whole conversion. Guides can be found all over the internet. I would have a good read through many to get an idea what it entails.
As for other boxes (I looked into this) the 350Z does fit, but its much weaker than a z32 box and are known to fail. Also the gear ratio (it has 6 gears) and the fact it was designed for an NA engine means that you may not get the full power/experience from your z32. 
https://forums.nicoclub.com/350z-6spd-trans-in-a-tt-z32-t475070.html
https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/39874-transmission-weak-point.html
All in all it depends on your budget. I personally, for my car wouldn't turn down a reasonably priced low-ish mileage series 1 box or buy a new series 2 box. I wouldn't go for a weaker box from a different car. Remember Nissan over-engineered the Z32 in most respects, thats why people can get 600+ BHP from stock internals and in one case over 1000BHP (Check out Netflix series "Fastest Car" Season 2, episode 6 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fastest_Car#Season_2_(2019) If memory serves, the owner only put massive turbos in it to get over 1000+, but the internals were all the same.) So changing out parts for lesser quality/lesser designed parts may not be a cost effective solution. Think "Buy best once, Buy cheap many times."
Thanks for such a lengthy and detailed response. Appreciate it bud, when I was talking about other boxes I was specifically thinking about the CD009 350z box which I beleive to be a strong box, I have seen it used with an ls3.

Totally get what you are saying and will defo check out the Netflix series bud. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

I've seen 2 "full" sets of second hand parts for a manual conversion on the FB sales pages this past week. Both up for over £2k. I can't remember if they both had the looms with them as well, but they looked complete otherwise. 
Paul Clements at Banzai Breakers has a full conversion kit almost ready to go. If you message him you might get in first. Again it'll be over £2k though without shipping. 
Remember that there are slight differences between an NA and TT manual box. But they can be made to fit. 
There's a heap of very in depth guides available across the Web. 
Not looking yet. Just considering options on whether to buy a manual TT or an auto and convert it. The price for the bits plus labour (I would do the work) suggests that I should look for a manual out of the box if I can find a good one. Thanks for the info buddy.

just my 2p worth there is a breaker who is trying to increase parts prices (not banzai), unfortunately most of the parts supplied are old crap and means extra expense to replace, I did see a manual conversion kit on FB a while ago that was 2k but had loads of new bits with it such as flywheel, clutch kit and clutch lines etc. IMHO you would be better off talking to jimmer at Powerzed first before purchasing any 'kits'

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Black-zed said:

just my 2p worth there is a breaker who is trying to increase parts prices (not banzai), unfortunately most of the parts supplied are old crap and means extra expense to replace, I did see a manual conversion kit on FB a while ago that was 2k but had loads of new bits with it such as flywheel, clutch kit and clutch lines etc. IMHO you would be better off talking to jimmer at Powerzed first before purchasing any 'kits'

This, this and 100% this

Edited by TheRealNips

To be honest I rarely buy of the shelf kits. Would probably source all the parts individually until I have everything I need. People just put a premium on top when it's a "kit"

I just done my Zed. Bought new 98 spec gearbox, etc new from America after being offered a 2nd hand kit in uk for £2.2k ?. Paid about £2.4k for new and shipped. Bought pedals 2nd hand off a member on here and lightened flywheel & clutch. I would say its cost me about £3.8k to get mine totally done. 

• Like 1

stewiedoom1.gif

I just done my Zed. Bought new 98 spec gearbox, etc new from America after being offered a 2nd hand kit in uk for £2.2k [emoji85]. Paid about £2.4k for new and shipped. Bought pedals 2nd hand off a member on here and lightened flywheel & clutch. I would say its cost me about £3.8k to get mine totally done. 
I love the fact you can still get brand new parts for these cars! Totally makes sense as apposed to spending a grand less for old used stuff

Just now, CrazyZX said:

I love the fact you can still get brand new parts for these cars! Totally makes sense as apposed to spending a grand less for old used stuff

To me it was a no brainer, i know that my gearbox is brand new not a “50k” never crunched gearbox”. Also the 98 spec are supposed to be a better gearbox. Some in America are ripping out their gearboxes to upgrade to the 98 gearbox. There’s videos on YouTube of people doing this and giving comparisons.  

if you do buy from America don't let them talk you into a NA master cylinder (get Twin Turbo) and the gearbox loom is a waste of time getting as it doesn’t save any work i was told. So i could of saved £120. 

stewiedoom1.gif

To me it was a no brainer, i know that my gearbox is brand new not a “50k” never crunched gearbox”. Also the 98 spec are supposed to be a better gearbox. Some in America are ripping out their gearboxes to upgrade to the 98 gearbox. There’s videos on YouTube of people doing this and giving comparisons.  

if you do buy from America don't let them talk you into a NA master cylinder (get Twin Turbo) and the gearbox loom is a waste of time getting as it doesn’t save any work i was told. So i could of saved £120. 
Thanks for the info bud. What gearbox oil do they take?

I have Redline MT90 in all my cars, amazing stuff.

9 minutes ago, CrazyZX said:

Thanks for the info bud. What gearbox oil do they take?

I have Redline MT90 in all my cars, amazing stuff.

Sorry i don’t know Jimmer did the conversion, not sure what he used. 

• Like 1

stewiedoom1.gif

On 11/01/2022 at 09:59, TheRealNips said:

The labour is expensive as its an engine out job and its not the easiest job to pull the engine. 

On top of that there is a certain amount of electrical work as well. My first ever 300zx was a converted auto and when I started it or floored it, the power light on the dash came on.

The power light is an auto thing, so whoever did the conversion didn't do the whole conversion. Guides can be found all over the internet. I would have a good read through many to get an idea what it entails.

Engine out ?? erm no
Electrical work is small loom adjustment at the box ( starter inhibitor ) and the neutral switch at the ecu  
Power light coming on when gunning the car after the convertion is because the auto box ecu has not been removed, disconnect loom connector and fixed !

Looking at the prices of "kits"   it makes more  sense to buy a failed mot rust bucket scrapper and salvage the manual bits and sell the rest of to recup some cash, after all thats where the kits are coming from.

Edited by JeffTT
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, JeffTT said:

Engine out ?? erm no
Electrical work is small loom adjustment at the box ( starter inhibitor ) and the neutral switch at the ecu  
Power light coming on when gunning the car after the convertion is because the auto box ecu has not been removed, disconnect loom connector and fixed !

Looking at the prices of "kits"   it makes more  sense to buy a failed mot rust bucket scrapper and salvage the manual bits and sell the rest of to recup some cash, after all thats where the kits are coming from.

Mine was engine half out, I'm trying to remember why and as it was several years ago and I have slept since then(!) I suspect it might have been something to do with rear seals or other maintenance work done while the back of the engine was accessible. I remember two of my cars just had a straight engine and gearbox swap. We took the engine and gearbox out as a whole lump swapped them back into the other cars and re plumbed in. The two cars I did conversions to, didn't have the ECU problem, but my first ever one did. Thanks for clearing that up because it was annoying!