50 years ago

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What an experience that must have been - naturally for the men who got there, but also for those who followed the mission on TV and radio.... Sadly I was but a tiny foetus, another seven months would pass before I popped into the world:wink:

What it does for me, though, is ask - what great steps have we made since?

I concur, there have been many earthly advances in that time. But in 50 years, only 12 men have walked on the moon - the last of which was in 1972. So we've had nearly 47 years to really go beyond where no man has ever been..... But we haven't.

So the fact it was done 50 years ago shows what an unbelievable achievement it was back then.... Awesome:thumbup:

I have something to say............ It's better to burn out than to fade away..... :tt2:

Yes watched this at school did not really understand exactly what I was watching then, of course 50 years later it is clear to anyone with a even the smallest of engineering knowledge that the technology did not exist then for the events to happen in quite the manner it was shown, and Nasa suggest they have "lost" the required calculations to return ... say what ??

Jeff

Yes watched this at school did not really understand exactly what I was watching then, of course 50 years later it is clear to anyone with a even the smallest of engineering knowledge that the technology did not exist then for the events to happen in quite the manner it was shown, and Nasa suggest they have "lost" the required calculations to return ... say what ??

Jeff

Ever the sceptic Jeff!

No wonder they wont let us near area 51!

It's a film set. :lol:

I must admit, I was fanatical about watching the whole space program back then.

What they did was amazing, it could have gone so wrong. (as previous missions before, and after have done so)

They all should be applauded, history in the making.

Ever the sceptic Jeff!

No, not at all, a realist would be more accurate.

How well do you think this ancient Nokia phone would run the engine in your car? erm, well it would not !! and seen as it has more processing power then the lunar landing module it does start becoming hard to believe it was quite what they reported.

Jeff

nokia 3310.jpg

So many photos available from the Apollo 11 mission, but one of my favourites is this one of Buzz Aldrin was taken by Neil Armstrong

in 1969, aboard the Apollo 11 Lunar Module just before they landed on the surface of the moon. They were conducting pre-landing

checks and the excitement they must have been feeling is clearly visible in Aldrin’s face. What a moment!

EdwinAldrin_big a sm.jpg

Project 1547 - Out of the Blue

She's so fine, there's no tellin' where the money went - Simply irresistible.

So many photos available from the Apollo 11 mission, but one of my favourites is this one of Buzz Aldrin was taken by Neil Armstrong

in 1969, aboard the Apollo 11 Lunar Module just before they landed on the surface of the moon. They were conducting pre-landing

checks and the excitement they must have been feeling is clearly visible in Aldrin’s face. What a moment!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]117686[/ATTACH]

Always felt sorry for Michael Collins the command module pilot he was the loneliness man in the world (out of this world) when Buzz and Neil got into the LEM. I as a boy had an Airfix model of the Lunar Module and many hours of fun was had :biggrin: Those were the days.

airfix.jpg

I can thoroughly recommend this podcast https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w13xttx2 13 Minutes to the Moon - and lots of vids and pics on the site, too. Interviews with astronauts and NASA staff - an astonishing story, well-told. Not only was it the first men on the moon (sorry, HGW) but also the first software to run on the moon!

You would of been about 11 at the time of the moon landing do you remember where you were Mike?

You would of been about 11 at the time of the moon landing do you remember where you were Mike?

Certainly do (and yes, just turned 11) - I was here http://bit.ly/2SloDYR when it was still a school. Since bull-dozed and v expensive houses instead. Watched the repeat (not allowed to stay up to watch live) in glorious 405 line black and white :)

No, not at all, a realist would be more accurate.

How well do you think this ancient Nokia phone would run the engine in your car? erm, well it would not !! and seen as it has more processing power then the lunar landing module it does start becoming hard to believe it was quite what they reported.

Jeff

[ATTACH=CONFIG]117685[/ATTACH]

They wanted to land an aircraft safely, not play snake! [emoji13]

50 years to the day - 20th July 1969 "Tranquillity base here, the Eagle has landed". This lovely photo has a story of its own:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/techandscience/first-clear-picture-of-neil-armstrongs-face-while-walking-on-moon-uncovered/ar-AAEAa3i?li=BBoPWjQ&item=personalization_enabled%3Afalse

Niel Armstrong Saunders.jpeg

Project 1547 - Out of the Blue

She's so fine, there's no tellin' where the money went - Simply irresistible.