front indicators not working. But rest are..

I noticed on starting the Zed for the first time in a fortnight that my front indicators were not working. As usual, I checked the bulbs, as it's on both sides, the relay, the indicator stalk and fuses. All seems OK. The hazards work fine and as normal, and on the fronts also which eliminates the bulbs being the issue, or corroded bulb holders. I also noticed that when I put the indicators on, it clicks twice as fast which may indicate a short somewhere, but where? Any ideas anyone? The back light indicators and side indicators also blink twice as fast. Something is not happy but what?

Indiators flashing fast is a current underload (ie bulb blown/not connected) and is the flasher units warning mode. As

all the lights flash when the hazzard switch is used that suggests engine room harness and bulb connectors are good

from the dash forwards. Were you working around the dash area recently? Check the connector to the indicator stalk

and local wiring. Any splices for aftermarket alarm system?

Project 1547 - Out of the Blue

She's so fine, there's no tellin' where the money went - Simply irresistible.

On the same loom are the side lights, and they work fine, as do the fogs. I have checked the indicator stalk and the looms that go into it, and they seem untampered with and original. It's got me foxed. If the side lights weren't working then I would know its the loom and a possible connection/short but since they are working fine, I can only assume it is something maybe inside the indicator stalk itself maybe?

All your indicator bulbs are the standard filament type ?

If not as Andrew says you have one blown or at least one is led type.

You have checked the relay you state, this is by the pedals ? If you use led signal bulbs this would be where you'd fit an aftermarket fast flash relay, thus eliminating the oe relays current sensing underload.

Had a look at the circuit diagram from the FSM EL-65 (which I have attached) to remind myself. You can see that before

connector M10 the indicator circuit is only routed Left and and Right through the Hazard and Indicator switches. It is only

after M10 that Left and Right is split into Front and Rear (connectors E106 and B4 respectively). More thinking required.

el-65_zpsatqe5lx3.jpg

Project 1547 - Out of the Blue

She's so fine, there's no tellin' where the money went - Simply irresistible.

Yes more thinking required. I have no LED bulbs - all standard. So, it can only be something to do with the body ground or the connectors - as if the side lights work but the indicators are shorting/grounding or something else (to replicate a short) - it must be do with the wiring. Maybe a replacement loom from the connector is the way forward?

So a few hours tonight of further investigation and it is definitely the looms - corrosion I would imagine, as they were working before the winter. Anyone got any looms spare at all? They need to be able to accommodate twin filament bulbs rather than single filament ideally.