The F1 Thread

13 minutes ago, TonyB said:

And the FIA need to ensure there are no bits of armco or any concrete blocks FACING the drivers. They should all be going with the flow of cars and would have prevented such a huge accident,

Plus there should be no spaces between the armco.

Yes, but if what I described isn't sorted in the way I said then its an accident waiting to happen Think of Jules Biachi. Now they wont have trucks inside the fencing except  under safety car control and I doubt that will last long and be red flagged instead.

3 hours ago, Gaz 300 said:

Plus there should be no spaces between the armco.

I don't see that would be too bad if the overlap was going with the flow of cars. I can think of several circuits where that occurs. If a car hits the upside of an overlap and slides along the overlap there still wouldnt be a projection to cause the driver harm.

The halo saved his life, for sure, but he also had a lot of luck on his side as well.

If the car had got wedged just a little further back in the armco, so if it had rebounded back a little after the roll bar hit the armco and stopped him, the armco across the top of the halo would have made escape impossible. That's not a negative on the halo, just an observation on the circumstance.

Lucky he didn't get knocked unconscious too, as already noted.

The gap between the rows of armco should be removed, by designing them to interlock, unless they become a one piece section. The gaps, or even a missing bottom row of armco that you see on many roads and motorways are a massive danger, especially to a sliding biker too.

The armco was mostly going in the right direction Tony, it was a blunt hit purely because he was veering across the circuit at that point, if he had just run wide earlier, and was still going in the right direction, there would have been a much simpler deflection.

On a lighter note, it was strange to see him escape and jump from behind the barrier over to track side of the barrier to get to safety, when he was already on the safer side. I am sure that was instinct kicking in, when stood up in the cockpit and feeling the armco to hand, jump over it away from the fire, as well as seeing someone trying to pull him clear.   

Did you see that his visor appeared to have melted a little too, although i am unsure if that would just be the tear off strips that melted, making it look like the visor had too, as i would expect the visor to be a bit more resilient than that?

6 hours ago, Gaz 300 said:

Oh well bet Bottas is jumping for joy.

2002 Porsche C2 996 3.6 
1991 Nissan 300zx TT Project

1995 Nissan 300zx TT Crashed 🥲

1997 Jaguar XK8 Scraped ☹️

• 2 weeks later...

Thats in for another season with a Mercedes and Hamilton dominance. But last race was all Max Verstappen leading from start to finish and even thought he had fastest lap untill an ex team mate stole it from him in the last lap. The ups and downs of F1 lol'

max.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Gaz 300 said:

Cool can’t wait.

2002 Porsche C2 996 3.6 

• 3 weeks later...

It was an extremely crazy race. They have let Pirelli try and slow the cars down with different tyre types, probably made things more dangerous. Nice for Aston Martin to get first podium.

• Like 1

2002 Porsche C2 996 3.6 

4 hours ago, Bones28 said:

It was an extremely crazy race. They have let Pirelli try and slow the cars down with different tyre types, probably made things more dangerous. Nice for Aston Martin to get first podium.

Not a big fan of Vettel but yes it was great to see Aston Martin on the podium mate. Bring on the French GP.

• 1 month later...