Any fairly serious gamers out there?

Years ago I was quite into my gaming, less so recently. Was gona preorder a new xbox today but the bloke laughed in my face lol. I refuse to get a sleeping bag out and lie down next to game all night but have started wondering about a games PC instead.

So... rather than get seen off in PC world, where would the cheapest (best value for money) place be to get an all singing all dancing PC? Because the £500 for an xbox is a fortune, I'd be better off paying a bit more and getting something that can run all the more interesting independent games rather than being stuck with a console to play mainstream rubbish like the latest COD games.

Thanks guys.

Yeah done a lot of research today, yowsers direction to Charles thread was useful. I can save about 100 pounds building the pc im looking at myself but would prefer the 24 month warranty that overclockers provide.

I've nearly settled on the same one Charles bought with a decent monitor off amazon and I will get basic speakers and plug ins to start with. Fancy ones later on.

Yeah done a lot of research today, yowsers direction to Charles thread was useful. I can save about 100 pounds building the pc im looking at myself but would prefer the 24 month warranty that overclockers provide.

I've nearly settled on the same one Charles bought with a decent monitor off amazon and I will get basic speakers and plug ins to start with. Fancy ones later on.

You won't got far wrong doing that mate.

Right decided. I'll get the same as him with the gtx 770 and the black/orange case.

Only 2 things puzzling me... The description says that it has a smaller ssd and a big hard drive but am I right to think that it doesn't have a ssd with the default set of options?

And will the default sound card be more than up to the task of making me feel like i'm actually getting shot at while playing battlefield?

Right decided. I'll get the same as him with the gtx 770 and the black/orange case.

Only 2 things puzzling me... The description says that it has a smaller ssd and a big hard drive but am I right to think that it doesn't have a ssd with the default set of options?

And will the default sound card be more than up to the task of making me feel like i'm actually getting shot at while playing battlefield?

Looks like an ssd and second HD are options. You'll be fine with the sound chip built in to the motherboard, so don't need a sound card. Most MB's have built in multi-channel HD digital sound now.

One thing you may have overlooked is that you'll need an Operating system as well, the default option doesn't include Windows.

Yeah I know, looked into that. There is no benefit to be had from getting anything beyond the basic windows 7. I can get the twin drives the OS a good monitor, speakers bf4 the lot for inside 1500 pounds. A bloody fortune really, but I think the rate of progress for games has hit a bit of a plateau and would expect it to last.

Would also mean I can actually edit my go pro footage properly.

I have mine all hooked up, its an animal. I have two 24" BenQ monitors side by side and its very much a sight to behold. The onboard sound is great, I have a set of Harmon Kardon soundsticks which also have bluetooth so I can stream from my iPhone.

I would recommend getting the same monitor that I did from amazon, superb quality screens and was the official monitor used in Major league gaming tournaments.

I have installed Windows 7 Ultimate as the machine deserves nothing less, although Pro x64 will be fine.

I specified the 120gb SSD as my main windows drive and the 3TB one for storage. Managed to get them to give me free delivery and a few other bits to do a deal which I completed online in the end after a few phone calls! They even put sweets in the MASSIVE box for you. I had to unpack the box to get it through my front door in my other house (no joke).

Let me know if you need me to show you pics of my setup

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B005OPLG0O/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1384045996&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165

This the one? Certainly looks good and i'll take an actual persons testimony well over any Internet review :-)

I am so out of date with games but used to love pc gaming. Consoles have lost their way recently.