My New Car (Project M3)

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

cost about £8900 in the end and that was without tax and test and petrol lol

as for insurance its more than the zed but being a damaged motor doesnt put the premium up, ive had this question asked so many times and ive never had any probs oinsuring a previousely damaged car

i must add i did the bridge test and although the M3 is a bit under the weather, its not as quick as the zed used to get 110mph to the bridge in the zed, got 110mph in the M, but the zed went round corners like it was on rails

all on the simulator of course

i love the car though, its fantastic, does everything very well

Mmmmmm..... I'm thinking (if all goes well with the new job) of getting one as a daily driver.

Are they viewed as being reliable?

Andy views on the semi-auto?

Andy

cost about £8900 in the end and that was without tax and test and petrol lol

as for insurance its more than the zed but being a damaged motor doesnt put the premium up, ive had this question asked so many times and ive never had any probs oinsuring a previousely damaged car

i must add i did the bridge test and although the M3 is a bit under the weather, its not as quick as the zed used to get 110mph to the bridge in the zed, got 110mph in the M, but the zed went round corners like it was on rails

all on the simulator of course

i love the car though, its fantastic, does everything very well

Mmmmmm..... I'm thinking (if all goes well with the new job) of getting one as a daily driver.

Are they viewed as being reliable?

Andy views on the semi-auto?

Andy

Generally very reliable, although some issues but big end bearings and oil pumps when new almost ALL have been fixed on recall. Other than that they of course do get driven hard and MUST be properly warmed up etc, also VERY sensitive to the correct oil grade. :) Obviously not a "cheap" car to run, parts can be dear as its generally all different to a standard E46, "M-tax" strikes with brake components and bushes.

Its not semi-auto, its a squential manual gearbox. As to say, it has 6 "proper" ratios and a proper clutch which is controlled by a robot. Although it has an "automatic" mode it aint the same as a slushbox... :)

Sensible driving should see 30+mpg on a run without difficulty (my M3 evo would do 35 mpg quite easily but im lead to believe the E46 has shorter overall gearing)

they are reliable, very expensive unless you know how to do things yourself, but TBH its no worse than zed ownership, parts are very expensive, brake discs alone are about £170 EACH, mine does about 20mpg (usually put £20 in and gets me just under 60 miles, zed used to do 45-50 when petrol was cheaper lol)

as for the semi-ato (smgII) they are supposed to be good but i didnt fancy one, like most forums there are some horror story's about the smg, but all those that have them love them

best bet is to visit a few forums (m3cutters.co.uk is the one i use) and maybe go test drive a few

you buying striaght or getting one damaged?

Generally very reliable, although some issues but big end bearings and oil pumps when new almost ALL have been fixed on recall. Other than that they of course do get driven hard and MUST be properly warmed up etc, also VERY sensitive to the correct oil grade. :) Obviously not a "cheap" car to run, parts can be dear as its generally all different to a standard E46, "M-tax" strikes with brake components and bushes.

Its not semi-auto, its a squential manual gearbox. As to say, it has 6 "proper" ratios and a proper clutch which is controlled by a robot. Although it has an "automatic" mode it aint the same as a slushbox... :)

Sensible driving should see 30+mpg on a run without difficulty (my M3 evo would do 35 mpg quite easily but im lead to believe the E46 has shorter overall gearing)

Cheers Bud!

they are reliable, very expensive unless you know how to do things yourself, but TBH its no worse than zed ownership, parts are very expensive, brake discs alone are about £170 EACH, mine does about 20mpg (usually put £20 in and gets me just under 60 miles, zed used to do 45-50 when petrol was cheaper lol)

as for the semi-ato (smgII) they are supposed to be good but i didnt fancy one, like most forums there are some horror story's about the smg, but all those that have them love them

best bet is to visit a few forums (m3cutters.co.uk is the one i use) and maybe go test drive a few

you buying striaght or getting one damaged?

Cool!

I'm thinking of paying a little more and just waiting for that illusive low mileage one owner FSH gem to come along.

Andy

Cheers Bud!

Cool!

I'm thinking of paying a little more and just waiting for that illusive low mileage one owner FSH gem to come along.

Andy

be prepaired to wait a long time lol, they do come along, but ive noticed on the m3 forum that some of the low milers seem to have probs, i was talking to a guy with an m3 and he reckons nursed motors will develop probs earlier as the engine and box are designed to be driven harder

if you potter about town in mine it gets chocked up, a good blast about and a good redline session brings it back to life?

how much you looking at paying? Good luck with the search and have a rake about on the forum's, some good info but be warned a lot of them are very pompous and up their own asses lol

10k will get you a damaged or very ealry multiple owner M3, unless you know someone who is selling one

they are coming down in price but not enough to warrant a premium like that for a minter

as said, some higher milers with good history are better and quicker cars than nursed lower mile example's?

10k will get you a damaged or very ealry multiple owner M3, unless you know someone who is selling one

they are coming down in price but not enough to warrant a premium like that for a minter

as said, some higher milers with good history are better and quicker cars than nursed lower mile example's?

Cheers Mate.

Not wanting to hi jack the thread, but my brother is using my M3, as it didn't sell.

03 plate SMG. 104k miles, FSH all the extras, sat nav etc. Carbon black with Black leather.

Let me know if interested.

Sorry bud won't be for a few months yet.