O2 sensor

Guest Coopers-SWB

Guest Coopers-SWB

Have just had all the fluids done, gearbox and diff oil, clutch and brake fluid, water and oil. Thanks J the gun and wozzer for sorting so quickly for me.

Whilst it was there also had the dodgy O2 sensor replaced with a brand new one I got off topless.

Only problem is the car still runs like a dog. It won't tick over properly and is almost like it is running on 5. Still pulls pretty well but sounds like there is a hole in the exhaust.

Do I need to reboot the ECU to get the new O2 sensor working? If so is it just a case of leaving the battery disconected for an hour or so or do I need to do something else.

Getting frustrated now.

Darrell

Guest Coopers-SWB

Yes had a conzolt with AndyP couple of weeks ago and that was the only error that came up. No codes or anything. The right O2 sensor didn't seem to work at all. We have assumed the right O2 sensor is the drivers side one.

Haven't really checked anything else as I don't know what I would be looking for.

Not sure if it is running on 5 or not. Thats the problem. Definetly seems to be a problem from the right side though. Seems to be a strange sound from that exhaust and there seems to be a tapety sort of sound from that side as well. Not sure if that is still there after oil change though. Still seems to pull pretty well when on higher revs however. Just sounds like there is a big hole in the exhaust.

Poor description I know. I will have to try and video it and see if Ican capture the sound etc.

Darrell

Guest Coopers-SWB
Strange noise,tappety sound,rough on that bank,-valve?

You could have valve-puff down the exhaust if one is sticking. :)

Thats not the news I wanted to hear.

Is there an easy fix or is it a head off job?

Darrell

Guest Coopers-SWB

The other quiestion is am I going to do damage by driving it. I have got to go to Yarmouth in it next week (about 100 miles).

Darrell

Guest Coopers-SWB
pull off cylinder six coil pack and see if it makes a difference to her running. Find out what cylinder is down and get back to us. Ring me if you get stuck !

07706 586022

Paul

Cheers mate but it isn't a job I will do myself.

Does it sound like it is a valve problem then?

Darrell

they sound like a scooby on 5... well mine did anyway... It was even worse on 4! especially since it was 1 and 3 which dropped of at the time lol, bless it.

Im watching this, because mine has odd running symptons at times which iv put down to an o2 sensor, does it feel hesitant from time to time and if your cruising along at seemingly any speed somtimes feel like its lost power and then it will come back at random.

Having watched it on conzult and datascan it seems to run crap, idle varies a couple of hundred RPM when one of my 02 sensor just sits ata value, the right hand one, but when they are both flutuatiing it idles at the same rpm and response fantastically.

Only does this when cruising, under hard acceleration its always fine... now im sure someone has told me before that under hard acceleraiton the ecu ignores the signal from the o2 sensors anyway?? Am i correct?

also how much is an o2 sensor and how hard are they to fit?

Guest Coopers-SWB
they sound like a scooby on 5... well mine did anyway... It was even worse on 4! especially since it was 1 and 3 which dropped of at the time lol, bless it.

Im watching this, because mine has odd running symptons at times which iv put down to an o2 sensor, does it feel hesitant from time to time and if your cruising along at seemingly any speed somtimes feel like its lost power and then it will come back at random.

Having watched it on conzult and datascan it seems to run crap, idle varies a couple of hundred RPM when one of my 02 sensor just sits ata value, the right hand one, but when they are both flutuatiing it idles at the same rpm and response fantastically.

Only does this when cruising, under hard acceleration its always fine... now im sure someone has told me before that under hard acceleraiton the ecu ignores the signal from the o2 sensors anyway?? Am i correct?

also how much is an o2 sensor and how hard are they to fit?

Yes sounds similar to mine. Have changed the O2 sensor but if anything it is running worse hence the title. Do I need to reset the ecu?

This is typical as well as I am supposed to go away in it on monday.

Darrell

just drive everywhere flat out, will be okay then lol...

If its on 5, you can tell it sounds awful at tick over and when its revved. Tend to vibrate alot because they are unbalanced. But also removing each coil pack connector and listening to what happens to the, see if the engine note changes. If it does then that cylinder WAS working but obviously you've just unplugged it. If you pull one out and it doesnt change you know its lost a cylinder. That then leads to a whole host of other posibilities as to what it could be... When mine was running on 5 and then 4 it was just the coil pack connectors coming loose, my temporary fix 4 months ago was a couple of cable ties, and well its still temporary lol.

If you remove them all (one at a time of course) and it changes note on each cylinder, then you know its not that at least.

Could then be, Idle control valve perhaps? temperature sensor? Or throttle position sensor perhaps? Not entirly sure tbh... limited knowledge on cars lol

Guest Coopers-SWB
just drive everywhere flat out, will be okay then lol...

If its on 5, you can tell it sounds awful at tick over and when its revved. Tend to vibrate alot because they are unbalanced. But also removing each coil pack connector and listening to what happens to the, see if the engine note changes. If it does then that cylinder WAS working but obviously you've just unplugged it. If you pull one out and it doesnt change you know its lost a cylinder. That then leads to a whole host of other posibilities as to what it could be... When mine was running on 5 and then 4 it was just the coil pack connectors coming loose, my temporary fix 4 months ago was a couple of cable ties, and well its still temporary lol.

If you remove them all (one at a time of course) and it changes note on each cylinder, then you know its not that at least.

Could then be, Idle control valve perhaps? temperature sensor? Or throttle position sensor perhaps? Not entirly sure tbh... limited knowledge on cars lol

Cheers for that but I think my knowledge is less than yours as I would probaly pull the fuel line off and end up burning the car out.

Will have to try and have a drive over to wozzers tomorrow and see what he thinks.

Darrell

Guest Coopers-SWB

OK. Boy came home and we had a little play. It would seem that there is a problem with.

Quick drum roll.

The wiring to the front right coil pack. The clip on the top has one of the tabs missing so wasn't sitting very well on the cables. Removed it and it seems to run better. Still not completly right but would point to a problem. Car sat and ticked over for a while anyway so hopefully it will be a simple fix.

Will have trip over to wozzers tomorrow and see what can be done.

Cheers for all the help guys.

Darrell

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Coopers-SWB

As a closer to this thread, drove all the way to Great Yarmouth with car running like a dog. Drove round with it ike that all week. Then all of a sudden on the way home nearly drove into the back of me mates car as it started to run OK again. It is still, touch wood, running OK. Have noticed also that I seem to have more oil pressure on the gauge as well. This is however the stock one so may not mean a lot.

Thanks for the help anyway guys. Will just have to sort out a visit to someone with a conzolt to se if any problems linger.

Darrell