99 spec front lights

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Zcentre sell them for around £1200

Although I know somebody enquired with SWZ Performance about them a few weeks ago, and they could supply for closer to £1k.

They are a direct fit, but I dont know of anyone in the UK that has them.

The alternative is a H3 and H1 HID conversion kit, and the chrome 99spec inserts like Dave ZX purchased...and your looking at around £300 for HID headlights that look the same as 99spec fronts.

If you want HID full beam, then its H1 fitment. (Dipped is H3)

Too be honest i have had that much trouble with my HID's and mostly the guys installing them :slap: that I am at my wits end and just want my damn lights sorted.

I have HID's on low beam but they are bodged in, not the correct fitment and finding a nice clean way to install them is hard as hell. (they had to have tape wrapped all around them to stop them from shorting out). Ideally I would like to extend the wires and sit the ballast packs in radiator area out of sight. The main beam HID's are the wrong fitment again and in trying to get them to work I broke one of the bulbs :cry:

I heard that the 99 spec lights fire up with no 'warm-up' so my thought was 99 spec lights with my good set or HIDS in the main beam..........but damn they are expensive. :shock:

Expensive but if anyone else can do a nice clean install salvaging the bits from what I already have I'll pay £500 to solve this 2 year old problem. Annoys me cause I'll do anything mechanical but have a phobia 'bout leckys

Chris

Too be honest i have had that much trouble with my HID's and mostly the guys installing them :slap: that I am at my wits end and just want my damn lights sorted.

I have HID's on low beam but they are bodged in, not the correct fitment and finding a nice clean way to install them is hard as hell. (they had to have tape wrapped all around them to stop them from shorting out). Ideally I would like to extend the wires and sit the ballast packs in radiator area out of sight. The main beam HID's are the wrong fitment again and in trying to get them to work I broke one of the bulbs :cry:

I heard that the 99 spec lights fire up with no 'warm-up' so my thought was 99 spec lights with my good set or HIDS in the main beam..........but damn they are expensive. :shock:

Expensive but if anyone else can do a nice clean install salvaging the bits from what I already have I'll pay £500 to solve this 2 year old problem. Annoys me cause I'll do anything mechanical but have a phobia 'bout leckys

Chris

Hi Chris,

Sounds like you've had a real nightmare with your HID's and whoever fitted them!

FYI - officially the 99-spec headlights came with HID's fitted to dip-beam but not main beam. The "main" reason for this is that by putting HID's in the main beam you will gain absolutely nothing over regular halogen bulbs. Furthermore, using HID's in the main beam is not a good idea because when using them to "flash" you are significantly reducing the life expectancy of the HID bulbs (turning these bulbs on and off requires a large voltage - doing this often will knacker both the bulbs and the ballasts).

One solution I can offer is as follows:

If your current headlight housing hasn't been altered (ie the metal bits housing the bulbs haven't been cut or altered in any way) then a set of my X3 HIDs will solve your problems. It is a clean install because (a) the HID bulb type is H3 (dip) and (b) no modifications to the bulb housing or stock light wiring loom are required. The leads to the ballast are not long enough to pop the ballasts in the induction/air filter area but they can be mounted behind the headlights or even in the space directly underneath them.

Should your headlights be cut-up and altered beyond use then I have a set of spare headlights sitting in the attic. For the right price I could (a) split them and clean them and (b) install an HID kit (dip beam) and upgraded main beam bulbs (normal halogen).

If any of this sounds appealing please let me know and we can discuss the finer details off-line.

ATB

Dan

...The alternative is a H3 and H1 HID conversion kit, and the chrome 99spec inserts like Dave ZX purchased...and your looking at around £300 for HID headlights that look the same as 99spec fronts....

Yep that's what I'm in the process of doing, but believe me these inserts are totally fooking crap!!!!! It's going to take a hell of a lot of effort/work to make them look anything like what they should do :rolleyes:

Hopefully I'll have them finished for next show season!

What Danny is offering is a good deal by the sounds of it.

Did somebody try to fit H3 instead of H3c's?

Did somebody try to fit H3 instead of H3c's?

I think it is more likely that someone tried to fit H1's or even H4's into the H3 aperture. These are the most commong HID bulb types readily available on the internet.

FYI - H3 and H3C bulbs are identical at the bulb base (ie the way they fit into the bulb housing). The only difference being H3C's have two connectors comming off the base whereas H3's have just one.

Chris - my offer stands.

Regards,

Dan