O2 Sensor problem.....

Noticed earlier that I had smoke coming from my left zorst. I've had the ConZult hooked up to it and I have a code 33 'O2 Sensor (left side) The O2 Sensor is open or shorted (abnormally high or low voltage is registered)'

The readout on ConZult is totally steady for the left and moving up and down for the right side, would a faulty sensor cause excessive smoke coming from the zorts?

Also how would I check the sensor, is it a case of putting a multimeter on ohms and see what the reading is from the connector?

All help appreciated. :bow:

O2 Test:

12v DC between the red wire and chassis ground. (not the black wire!)

0.3v > 0.7v DC (cycling) between white wire and chassis ground.

Test when engine at temp.

Cheers Graham.......

So, just to get this correct, I place a 12v + onto the red wire, persumably from the battery, and I use the cars ground for the neg.

Then place a meter between the cars ground and the white wire, and, if it's working properly, then I should see 0.3 > 0.7volts?

Don't want to seem dim, but don't wana bugger anything up at the same time ;)

Cheers Graham.......

So, just to get this correct, I place a 12v + onto the red wire, persumably from the battery, and I use the cars ground for the neg.

Then place a meter between the cars ground and the white wire, and, if it's working properly, then I should see 0.3 > 0.7volts?

Don't want to seem dim, but don't wana bugger anything up at the same time ;)

Nope. :nono:

The meter should read 12v between the red wire and ground and 0.3v > 0.7v between the white wire and ground.

i.e. Black meter lead touches a chassis ground and the red meter lead touches the red or white wire in the connector (while connected).

HTH.

Graham.

Arrr, that'll be fun ;)

Thanks Graham :bow:

A little dissapointed to the response to this, but obviously nobody else knows anything about O2 sensors. Maybe I should of asked a question regarding what second car I should buy, then I'd of been swamped with answers :rolleyes:

Arrr, that'll be fun ;)

Thanks Graham :bow:

A little dissapointed to the response to this, but obviously nobody else knows anything about O2 sensors. Maybe I should of asked a question regarding what second car I should buy, then I'd of been swamped with answers :rolleyes:

The forum is running seriously low on techies mate, I have been thinking this more and more just lately, very sad :cry:

Yep we seem to have a hell of a lot of leeches these days, quite happy to receive the information, but not prepared to help others out.

I always look through the Help and Advice section to see if there is anything I can do. I love imparting information if I have or know it, makes me proud to be part of this community. :)

I found the connector for my near side passenger side one was green oxided up and responsible for that one showing dead. I had no smoke problems though. Cleaned the pins and sockets on the connector and it was right as rain again! Connectors are a major source of glitches on these hot running and ageing cars!

I found the connector for my near side passenger side one was green oxided up and responsible for that one showing dead. I had no smoke problems though. Cleaned the pins and sockets on the connector and it was right as rain again! Connectors are a major source of glitches on these hot running and ageing cars!

Yeah I did take my connector apart yesterday, when I was first looking, but it was perfectly clean. But I'll have a check with the multimeter once I get a chance (hopefully tomorrow)

I also have the wire to the cat temp sensor cut on that same side, don't suppose that would make any differance? :confused: