Cuts@2500rpm only when reaches operating temperature???

Basically I pulled away a bit sharpish....the rear wheels started to jump around and banged a bit as i gripped n jumped...all seemed fine untill a couple of minutes later when the power/revs started jumping around...it would cut to below 2000 rpm and then come back again taking about 1/2 a second for every pulse...

The car would tickover fine.....and reach 2500rpm exactly and then seem to cut like a switch.

Couldnt find any pipes loose...so wiggled all connectors-PTU/TPS/MAF/timing thingy...lol(CAS?)....it seemed to work and I drove on...

Five minutes later it did it again....

This time wiggling all connectors didnt seem to work so it must of been a fluke last time.

I stood there ripping arse out of fookin TT's about how tempromental they are and then I thought id just try it again..

It worked again....

So i nipped home whilst it was working and am none the wiser for how it happened or what caused it.

I have suspisions of PTU but it seemed more Time or Heat related....

My connections are all spotless as they were cleaned a few months ago.....

I need to put the ConZult on it tommorow to check the TPS and error codes but....this is puzzling...

WTF is it?

What ever it is I suspect it was caused/helped by the jumping around of the back end....I had it jumping around at the Pod quite badly and this may have started something that tonight finished it off?

I have since cleaned (again) all my connectors and have wiggled them whilst running the engine and no difference.

I had some inspiration and whacked the MAF with a blunt instrument(hammer :D ) and it worked...the car was running smooth as silk again.

But the next day it did it again.

It runs normal when its cold but as soon as the temp needle reaches the operating temperature mark it all goes poop again.

I tried hitting the MAF yet again but it didnt work this time.

Does anyone know what is cutting at operating temperature???

I now think its the MAF and not the PTU...

I cannot afford to buy a MAF and PTU so need to know WTF is goin on...

This is probably the 8,942nd thread on this problem but ive searched and not found this problem/soloution other than buying a new PTU and MAF...Not cheap :(

Ideas this way please

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Guest Steve E

Sound typical of a faulty MAF. What filters are you using and is there a risk of the hotwire getting wet when your running?

Try swapping with a known good one to see if it confirms the problem.

Steve E

Sound typical of a faulty MAF. What filters are you using and is there a risk of the hotwire getting wet when your running?

Try swapping with a known good one to see if it confirms the problem.

Steve E

Hi :smw:

I run an Apexi filter and it has no water on it when I have the problems.

The only time I experienced that fault is after heavy downpours when driving and even then its a different kind of problem..its more of a cough and splutter with a wet filter where as this is a smooth instant clean cut that cuts in and out at a precise time period :nelson:

Swapping with a known good one seems like my next move then...

Thanks for that Steve E :duffer:

I have a spare if you want to try it - no hitting it though !!!!!

lol....

Thanks andy...

Unfortunately my zed doesnt go much above 20mph at the minute so the journey to essex may be longsome :rofl:

I appreciate the offer though andy :bow:

Im currently trying to source one off of Kirbz so I'll see how that goes ;)