Rough running

Guest chippyrich69

Guest chippyrich69

Hi guys

I bought my first Z three weeks ago, (dream car), it's a '91 TT Jap import, it's now started running quite rough and can be felt wobbling when ticking over (like old Transits do) its not really bad but I would expect a V6 to be totally smooth and it wasn't like it when I first bought it. Any ideas what could be causing it to run like this?

Any help much appreciated

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

could be your coilpacks, try starting it and going through them one by one and unplug them and there should be a drop in revs etc if your getting a good connection so plug it back in but if ones not working when you unplug the connector it wont change and you will have to check the wiring or most likely will just need a clean as it gets that green crap on :)

Guest chippyrich69
could be your coilpacks, try starting it and going through them one by one and unplug them and there should be a drop in revs etc if your getting a good connection so plug it back in but if ones not working when you unplug the connector it wont change and you will have to check the wiring or most likely will just need a clean as it gets that green crap on :)

Ok mate i'll give that a try, many thanks

aye it could be that or a dirty/corroded injector connector. if its a jap car then the cat over heat light normally comes on if its lost a cylinder by spark,cos the unburnt fuel is heating up the cat. if its not coming on then it could well be a dirty injector connector because no unburnt fuel is going down. identify the offending cylinder by using the method described above

Fraser

Guest chippyrich69
aye it could be that or a dirty/corroded injector connector. if its a jap car then the cat over heat light normally comes on if its lost a cylinder by spark,cos the unburnt fuel is heating up the cat. if its not coming on then it could well be a dirty injector connector because no unburnt fuel is going down. identify the offending cylinder by using the method described above

Fraser

Ok i'll give that a try, thanks v. much

P.S could using normal unleaded (95 RON) fuel have contributed to the problem? I had to use it once as the garage I was in didn't sell Super/Optimax

do a consult or ECU diag see what comes up,rough running is commonly associted with coil pack/injector connections corroded or damaged,problem is most are broke,cracked or missing the metal clips that hold them in

things to check

coil pack and injector connections,clean all of them with electrical cleaner and small toothbrush or fine wire brush,unplug them from cyl 1-6 individually if they all drop a cylinder then thats ok its if you unplug a coilpack and the engine revs stay static-then you can say thats the culprit cylinder and clean or check that cylinder for spark or corroded connections

check PTU MAF temp sensor connections also associated with running problems!

but do a ecu test 1st may come up with an error

heres how if you didnt know already

http://www.ttzd.com/tech/diagnostictech.html

Guest chippyrich69

Thanks very much for all the help guys, I'll give these things a try and if still no luck I'll get the old girl down to a garage, sounds like that's the problem though