bodyshop - work in progress

well the boys didnt take too long to get the car into bits - the pictures were taken the day after i dropped the Z off. problems so far: the door and both wings are full of filler so the paint wont sit 100% but will be generally unnoticeable, front bumper needs bit of extra work to fit (but i DID get it damn cheap), front fogs/indicators wont fit straight away and bumper will need modifying slightly. other than that no problems (he says).

need some suggestions regarding the front number plate, do I (cant be arsed to do a poll):

A) Flat plate along top of front bumper

B) Flat plate hanging over centre of bumper

C) Square plate hanging over centre of bumper

D) Square plate to the right over the bumper (Evo-6-stylee)

(see first thumbnail)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
well the boys didnt take too long to get the car into bits - the pictures were taken the day after i dropped the Z off. problems so far: the door and both wings are full of filler so the paint wont sit 100% but will be generally unnoticeable, front bumper needs bit of extra work to fit (but i DID get it damn cheap), front fogs/indicators wont fit straight away and bumper will need modifying slightly. other than that no problems (he says).

need some suggestions regarding the front number plate, do I (cant be arsed to do a poll):

A) Flat plate along top of front bumper

B) Flat plate hanging over centre of bumper

C) Square plate hanging over centre of bumper

D) Square plate to the right over the bumper (Evo-6-stylee)

(see first thumbnail)

Or E look at mine!!!

small plate under bumper

Jesus Dave who are they, thats some job they are doing there taking all that off :bow:

they're a new bodyshop opened in Thurnby, Leic. although the guys that work there have years of experience working for others before deciding to open their own place up. they're working on two Corsa projects too, one with a Calibra 2.0 conversion and the other with a Calibra 2.0 4WD Turbo conversion :bow: and custom bodywork, interior etc.

the guy that runs it is a mate of a neighbour of mine ;) top blokes the lot of them that have taken a real interest in the Z, but I'll hold my final verdict until the end of next week nailbiting.gifnailbiting.gif i just hope they can f00kin put it back together again

• 2 weeks later...

well i got a phone call yesterday to say it should be ready Fri afternoon, fingers crossed. still not got new plates made up yet tho :headvswal and halfrauds want about 5 different forms of ID before they'll make plates up for me (paper drivers licence and insurance certificate not enough! :xxx: ). can't wait to see her tho - i've been Z-less for nearly two weeks :hurl:

..... still not got new plates made up yet tho :headvswal and halfrauds want about 5 different forms of ID before they'll make plates up for me ....

fancyplates.com they'll make the size that you want, and delivery is normally two working days. I orded my new rear one a week ago on the Sunday, they were on my door step on Tuesday!! And a reasonable price as well. Also you don't need any ID or paperwork!!!

Watching with great interest Dave ;) Are you by any chance having weird z dreams? I am, and mine isn't going to the bodyshop for 4 weeks!

I'm sure the end result will be stunning tho :)

lol, once or twice. actually, and this is the truth, a couple of nights ago i dreamt that they'd put the nose panel on the wrong way around and forgotten to paint it, and run out of the paint id chosen. sh@ me up it did. then in the middle of the morning i remembered it and was darn happy it was just a dream..... or was it..... :shock: :shock:

fancyplates.com they'll make the size that you want, and delivery is normally two working days. I orded my new rear one a week ago on the Sunday, they were on my door step on Tuesday!! And a reasonable price as well. Also you don't need any ID or paperwork!!!

i considered using them Dave but i didnt have much time (although i didnt realise they could deliver within a couple of days :bow: ) kind of wish i did now. the guys at the bodyshop say they can whack the plates on in a couple of minutes while i wait so ill make sure im happy with them first.

Dave why have thet said the paint won,t sit flat because its got filler under it :confused: :confused: :confused: , iv,e been in the trade for 24 years and never heard that one , are they trying to say the repairs will be rippley !! , if its done right there shouldn,t be any sign that theres filler in it .

Not trying to worry you but its a strange thing to be told .

A few pics when i did mine

Imag0084.jpg

d658845c.jpg

My doors also had a fair bit of filler and god knows how many layers of paint to flatten out !!

Imag0085.jpg

Imag0096.jpg

Dave why have thet said the paint won,t sit flat because its got filler under it :confused: :confused: :confused: , iv,e been in the trade for 24 years and never heard that one , are they trying to say the repairs will be rippley !! , if its done right there shouldn,t be any sign that theres filler in it .

Not trying to worry you but its a strange thing to be told .

Hi Allan,

What the chap was saying was sometimes the paint, when looked at parallel to the car, can have a very faint vertical ripple to it - its apparent on some brand new cars as well - he pointed out a couple of examples (there's a car dealership next door). You really have to be looking for it to notice it though and that's what he said what may happen to mine. Every bodyshop said different things (I've scouted out 3 and each one missed something that another one picked up on etc. etc.) but I'm pretty confident I'm with the best of the 3. We'll all soon know though :eek:

Hi Allan,

What the chap was saying was sometimes the paint, when looked at parallel to the car, can have a very faint vertical ripple to it - its apparent on some brand new cars as well - he pointed out a couple of examples (there's a car dealership next door). You really have to be looking for it to notice it though and that's what he said what may happen to mine. Every bodyshop said different things (I've scouted out 3 and each one missed something that another one picked up on etc. etc.) but I'm pretty confident I'm with the best of the 3. We'll all soon know though :eek:

Hmm still a bit confused but as long as you get the quality your after :hyper: TTFN

Well she's all done!!! :hyper:

Going to take a look at her tomorrow but wont be picking her up until Wednesday cos the chaps in the bodyshop are taking her out to a cruise somewhere in Leicester to show her off ;) (and unfortunately ive got other plans).

cant wait to see her. :dance: :nana2: :dance: :nana2:

one more: :nana2: