Unorthodox pulley set

Does anyone have an unorthodox underdrive pulley fitted? I have been reading about the crankshaft vibration that is associated with lightweight underdrive pulley due to the lack of damping. Does this destroy engines/has anyone with one ever had any problems?

These claim a serious power gain for just a pulley on the TT, some figures as high as 37bhp! If that is true, im a little bit sceptical about that, why doesnt everybody have them?

I have had one fitted ever since putting engine back together just after buying car, so don't know if it ever made any difference or not. It looks nice and have never had any problems with vibrations.

Obviously though any mod will increase risk of problems, and lower life of engine but no probs yet touch wood.

37bhp sounds good to me though now I can tell everyone that I have even ore hp.:D

How long ago did u rebuild the engine? I am thinking of buying one when i go to America. I am trying to gather lots of bits together so that i can have them all fitted at once and this would be incorporated in the rebuild. This is the power claimed by the unorthodox web site on a stock 300zx http://www.unorthodoxracing.com/dyno.html

On other sites it is claimed even higher results on modified engines.

I went for the ASP Underdrive Pulley. I found this link which has a bit more information, but is not where I bought it:

http://www.rpmoutlet.com/aspimp.htm#nissan

I got it from Pheung at GRRacing.

The ASP is widely use by a number of US Z owners who have clocked up good milages without trouble, from the research I did before buying. I did wonder about a lightened flywheel, but decided the Underdrive pulley had the advantage of not changing the drivability.

There has been a number of articles about Harmonics and the lightened Pulley. I believe Beamers can suffer, but our Z (from the US posts) does not appear to have this problem.

The Unorthodox pulley system has a greater weight saving, and I would see what you can find on the 300ZX US forums.

Ciao, Geoff

Thanks Geoff, I have just e-mailed my contact to ask him how many Z he has fitted the pulleys on and if he has seen any problems with it. I have also got a Fidenza Flywheel on order and it should be here any day now. Looks like the whole pulley set which includes the crank, power steering alternator and water pump pulleys will set me back about £250 and then there is the belts to go on top of that. Just hope it will all fit in my suitcase!

Bazz, Good luck with your shopping. Where are you going?

Paul, I had this picture of being at traffic lights and either having to over-rev or face stalling the car. Its good to hear somebody's real life experience, thanks. (Help, I need to justify taking the engine out again!).

Cheers, Geoff

Going to Florida for three weeks, starting in Kissimmee and driving down to Miami. I have been in touch with a guy who runs a Z tuning place close to Miami. He can get me anything i want and its very cheap compared to over here!

Originally posted by Geoff

Paul, I had this picture of being at traffic lights and either having to over-rev or face stalling the car. Its good to hear somebody's real life experience, thanks. (Help, I need to justify taking the engine out again!).

Cheers, Geoff

dude - you only need to drop the box off ;)

Guest aaronjb

I've had the full UR pulley set on my engine for probably 10k, and when we dismantled the bottom end, there was zero wear or play anywhere..

Reassembled now with RPS billet flywheel and UR pulley set, and it's smooth as a baby's behind - pulling away at lights etc is still just a case of easing off the clutch with negligable revs if you want to pussyfoot around :)

Cheers lads! I am definetly getting the full UR pulley set now, just waiting for the price to be confirmed. My clutch, flywheel and Greddy E Manage is going to be fitted together when i come back in October so up the boost will go! Looks like i will wait till i can afford the bigger turbos and pistons before i fit the injectors and Underdrive pulley though to save on labour ;) Oh well one step at a time as they say!!!

It does make a noticeable difference at higher speeds, like on the motorway. Not just extra pulling power, but a lower grunt once you get the revs up and throttle down!

I've probably done well over 20k, maybe even 30K on mine.