Any Z31 Experts here?

I've had a look at a 1984 Z31 turbo manual car today, no tax or mot, last on the road in 2004 and garaged since.

The engine started first thing from cold and sounded sweet - no nasty noises or excess smoke from the exhaust - so far so good.

It needs the OSF wing replaced (used one supplied), the front rubber? spoiler has a good chunk missing, the rear wheel arches are disintegrating and the quarters are bubbling.

The boot floor seems good as do the chassis rails but the inner wing valances have been crudely patched to pass a previous mot.

The interior is messy but ok, it looks like the targas are leaking slightly.

I can probably get this for £400 - any advice on body parts availability or general value of the car would be welcome.

I would be doing the work myself, so labour cost is not an issue - cheers - Andy........pics follow.

DSC_09011.jpg

DSC_09001.jpg

DSC_0905.jpg

DSC_0902.jpg

DSC_0903.jpg

ZedRear4b.jpg

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Speak to MJP about parts availability. He will be able to give you a good indication of what's still available and their costs.

Not many owners on here that I know of, but there are quite a few active members on Z-Club who would be able to assist you.

Zed #2: 1998 Midnight Purple 2+2 NA. (owned 2020 - now) 

Zed #1: 1995 Blue Slicktop NA (2013-2015)

I know a little about them. Looks like it has late model parts on it (I think in 87 or 88, the bumpers and tail lights were changed). Yours is an 84, so it has the correct wheels on at least. Is it a 2 seater or a 4 seater? The 2 seater Z31s are incredibly rare. I think I can JUST about make out some rear seats from the photo however - so assume it's a 2+2. Some JDM imports about, but imagine it's a UK-spec car? It's a shame about the rust as body panels are really hard to get hold of. MJP might be able to help with some of the parts. Even in the US, the Z31 isn't that well catered for in terms of aftermarket and pattern OEM replacement parts which is strange as the Z31 outsold the Z32 by a huge margin, but there are some panels still available via Courtesay Nissan in Texas.

A good panel beater could replace that lower rear quarter though as it's not an overly complex shape. The rest actually doesn't look in too bad of a condition.

I have seen these appear on ebay from time to time with prices ranging from between £1000 and £2000. I think they have kudos as they're very rare in the UK and I haven't seen one for a long while. I never used to like them, but they've become extremely retro (IMO) recently and with a few choice styling modifications can be made to look really cool. So if you're up for a project, go for it, it's an easier car to work on (mechanically) than the Z32. If you wanted to break it however, you'd make your money back. The wings would get about £75 each, the doors, a little more. They look rust free!

modp-1301-05%2B1985-nissan-300ZX%2Bkouki-Z31-front-end-conversion.jpg

I'm with Si. They are starting to look retro cool, and can certainly look good.

I just wish they had better rear lights! I just can't abide the design of them.

Zed #2: 1998 Midnight Purple 2+2 NA. (owned 2020 - now) 

Zed #1: 1995 Blue Slicktop NA (2013-2015)

I'm with Si. They are starting to look retro cool, and can certainly look good.

I just wish they had better rear lights! I just can't abide the design of them.

Depends which you go for - facelift versions look really cool (+87)

kai-z31-3.jpg

Early ones - not so much, but I still kinda like 'em.

576685912a2284428734b558319622l.jpg

I think I would be snapping that up!! 1, its a turbo version (rare) and 2 its also the manual version :) so quite a rare beast you have found

I have the z31 too but mine is the older version and non turbo, but manual :)

As the lads have mentioned, they are looking really retro cool at the moment and I cant see you loosing any money on that for £400!

let me know if you dont buy it as I would be interested :)

I think I would be snapping that up!! 1, its a turbo version (rare) and 2 its also the manual version :) so quite a rare beast you have found

I have the z31 too but mine is the older version and non turbo, but manual :)

As the lads have mentioned, they are looking really retro cool at the moment and I cant see you loosing any money on that for £400!

let me know if you dont buy it as I would be interested :)

Thanks for the encouragement, I didn't know that it was a turbo version until I saw it :)

What are they like to work on? Obviously they're now thirty years old - where are the bad areas for rust....or is that a silly question :blushing:

ZedRear4b.jpg

Thanks for the encouragement, I didn't know that it was a turbo version until I saw it :)

What are they like to work on? Obviously they're now thirty years old - where are the bad areas for rust....or is that a silly question :blushing:

Yep get it bought!!!!

I can honestly say, I've hardly done anything to mine!, I've had it for about 9 years and changed the rear shocks (easy) and changed the maf when I first bought it (easy)!! apart from that its done about 80 miles in 9 years!! I bought it cheap from a barn find and was in mint condition when I bought it but sadly its started to rust on the rear lower arches and around the door mirrors :( everything else is great and i know I could go to her now with a charged battery and it will start 1st time and drive mint (if the flywheel hasnt rusted to the box) hahah

Deffo a future classic and especially in the Turbo version!!!

they are a big wallowing heavy lump and nothing at all like the z32 to drive, but somehow feels special

No worries bud, good luck with it.

You obviously know that you need to spend at least £500 (what I can see) on it for a full service and body repairs! but even with that spent you have got a nice future classic to float around in.

To be honest, I would go in for the kill and offer him £250, he can only say no! then go up slowly to the £400 max ;)

Yep get it bought!!!!

I can honestly say, I've hardly done anything to mine!, I've had it for about 9 years and changed the rear shocks (easy) and changed the maf when I first bought it (easy)!! apart from that its done about 80 miles in 9 years!! I bought it cheap from a barn find and was in mint condition when I bought it but sadly its started to rust on the rear lower arches and around the door mirrors :( everything else is great and i know I could go to her now with a charged battery and it will start 1st time and drive mint (if the flywheel hasnt rusted to the box) hahah

Deffo a future classic and especially in the Turbo version!!!

they are a big wallowing heavy lump and nothing at all like the z32 to drive, but somehow feels special

I actually think NAs were rarer Daz. Doesn't detract as the Z31 is ubber rare now anyways. The UK-spec Z31s, as with the Z32s were all Turbo models and there were very few grey import Z31s that found their way over.

I actually think NAs were rarer Daz. Doesn't detract as the Z31 is ubber rare now anyways. The UK-spec Z31s, as with the Z32s were all Turbo models and there were very few grey import Z31s that found their way over.

Cool!!!! I'm really tempted to sell mine as I have too many projects & cars at the moment. I would love a turbo version..... (just coz its a Turbo) but yeh, Maybe I should keep her a little longer until its really worth selling ;)

Talking about big money have you seen this one with the digital dash?

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/nissan/300zx/nissan-300zx-turbo/1692288

The owner really should have sent it back. There's a much better market for Z31s of that value in the US, really don't know why he's trying to sell it here. He'll get more for it, even with a shipping cost back to America.

My favourite Z31 was always the Shiro - I think it was north America market only.

The owner really should have sent it back. There's a much better market for Z31s of that value in the US, really don't know why he's trying to sell it here. He'll get more for it, even with a shipping cost back to America.

My favourite Z31 was always the Shiro - I think it was north America market only.

Here's the Shiro version, all came with special pearl white paint, the only Z31 to do so and with white wheels.

8696625280_06fbee6d5c_h.jpg