clocked cars - selling illegal?

Hi

Is it illegal to sell a clocked car?

Went to look at a bmw - 85K on clock with full bmw service history.

Lad selling it wasnt on V5 as he just bought it and couldnt afford insurance (he got out of a new golf gti!?!!?!)

HPI Check revealed it was last serviced in december at 200K!!!!!

Its still on autotrader (or was first thing this morning).

feck knows what happened with my blue zed (one in sig) MOTs from 2009 show the clocks at 89k miles, then from 2010 onwards, its showing 575k miles, so not sure how it did over 450k miles since 2009 to 2010, i think someone was trying to clock the dials and mucked up to be honest. been changed now for clocks showing 101k miles which is about right.

Its illegal if the seller does not notify the buyer. Trouble is he may not have been the one that clocked it.

That's my understanding too - ie it's illegal to do it knowingly and mislead the buyer into thinking that the mileage is genuine.

But if the car reads 85K and the dealer sells it as a 200k miler then no; the dealer has fulfilled his obligations under the law.

Richard:chris:

I have something to say............ It's better to burn out than to fade away..... :tt2: